Aviation vs Non-Aviation degree?

A four-year degree is a four-year degree. I think we can all agree on the fact that you earned college credits and worked for that diploma. There are numerous degrees that one might consider not worth the paper it is printed on, but it still required a certain number of credit hours in that discipline. Traditional degrees that are common and earned in such subjects as: business, aviation, engineering, English, library, medicine, architecture, construction, agriculture, sciences, music.

Auburn University was the first one on the Internet that I look at with an aviation degree program. Listed are some of the courses required: English Comp I & II, History I & II, Calculus I & II, Fine Arts, Statistics, Accounting, Microeconomics, Physics I & II, Great Books II. The course subjects don’t sound like a cakewalk to me. If you look at other degrees, they have some of the same required courses. To say a degree in aviation is useless is just not right.

I fully believe it is up to the individual to point out what subjects they studied and relay this in any interview. Perhaps the interviewer lacks knowledge of what is required to obtain an Aviation Degree. In the interviews that I gave or received, only once was my college transcripts required and that was for my first job. After the first job, experience and track record were more important. Having the degrees is the door opener. It is up to the individual to carry out the rest during the interview. A required course that all colleges and universities should require is a course in proper interview and introductory letter writing. Are there any out there that have this as a required course for graduation or is it an elective?

Most MBA programs, top 25 that is, "require" 4 years work experience. At least that's what they state in their admissions requirements. They will accept a few with no prior work experience. Get some work experience, at least 3 years, take a review course for the GMAT, Kaplan or Princeton Review and study your arse off. I can't stress that enough. Sad to say, but they use your GMAT score to weed out potential candidates.

It doesn't matter what your degree is in. If you knew there would never be furloughs, you would be safe with an aviation degree.

I see that business is very popular. I majored in Elementary Education. Not for the girls in my classes, although that was very nice. It's something I have a passion for and I feel that I need to give back what's been given to me. There's nothing like seeing a lightbulb go on in a child's head when they learn a new concept or skill.

Another plus, teachers will always be needed. Once I make the jump to flying full time and the industry happens to come upon hard times I wouldn't mind being back in the classroom and it shouldn't be hard to find a job.

I have several friends who attended ERAU and majored in aero sci. One was furloughed and couldn't find any other work. Another one is looking for work other than flight instructing and he couldn't find something that paid enough because he wasn't qualified.

My last piece of advice: It might be a good idea to get some experience in another field before diving head first into flying. (AKA-> That field being your major) It might look good on a resume to see that you have at least some experience, especially if your major is business in this market and economy.

Good post UPS. Are you still working with middle schoolers?

In my opinion, one really has to seperate job requirements and economic flexibility.

I strongly suggest taking a two-tiered approach to education if you want to be a pilot.

Find something that you like independently of aviation and get a degree in it. Don't do it because it'll make you shine during an interview because the hardest questions I got during the interview dealt with non-aviation items.

Get a degree in a solid program for no other reason than because in the average pilots career, you have a better chance than not of:

a. Being furloughed (United, Air Wisconsin, etc)
b. Being merged with another seniority list (Piedmont, Republic, etc)
c. Getting "American Airlines"-style "stapled" (TWA, Reno, Pan Am, etc)
d. Your company going out of business (Eastern, CCAir, Midway, etc)
e. Losing a codeshare contract (WestAir/United Express)

If you're on the street in aviation, most likely, so are a few thousand of your fellow aviation comrades.

With a good non-aviation degree, you can find employment to pay the mortgage, feed your family, and pay that Key Bank Loan.

Don't be an idiot, get a degree, especially (in my honest opinion) a non-aviation degree.

Here's my $00.02. I am loading up on GE(general ed.) right now. That way if i decide to change a careers from business to hmmm lets say [ QUOTE ]
under water basket weaving

[/ QUOTE ]
in the middle of my education. I would have GE out of the way and just switch to another degree. So i suggest take GE before anything else just incase the world will have a new kind of revolution i.e. everyday space travel (riiiiiiiiiight) then you wont have a problem switching careers.

Gosh no one told me it would be this hard 14 units of college. Iam beign pulled apart by to cranes. The stress is killing me.
wink.gif

P.S. Doug can you please somehow turn off Overwrite????? everytime i make a mistake and try to change it. I am forced to redo the whole post.

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. Doug can you please somehow turn off Overwrite????? everytime i make a mistake and try to change it. I am forced to redo the whole post.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not Jetcareers, it's your computer Yaro.

Hit the "insert" key on your keyboard. That should take care of the problem.

G'day All

It seems common for US airlines requiring a degree to require a '4 year' degree. I hope you all will pardon my ignorance, but is a standard pass bachelors degree, a BA or BSc for example, normally 4 years?

In Aus and I think NZ also, a BA or BSc or BEc or BBus etc is typically 3 years. A fourth year would normally be for an 'honours' year and research thesis.

Is this what the extra year is in the US? Alternatively, do any of you folks know what the extra subjects are? Do US bachelor degrees have more 'general studies' or would it be more core subjects? What makes up the year long difference between equivalant degrees?

Cheers

Tim

Back