Aviation degrees: what jobs aside form flying

av8or91

Im majoring in commercial aviation, I know some of you have done the same so I was just wondering if your not flying, what your doing now? I plan flying commercially but just need some input on what I can do should I lose my medical or become unable to fly anymore. I know I should have probably majored in something else but im at a point now where its almost too late. What type of jobs are out there? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Some jobs only require you to be able to check the box that says you have a 4 year degree while others need a specific degree. Expect something along the lines of insurance salesman. Either that, or go back to school and get another major in business or something.

I am in the same boat :(

The degree earned is not as important as real work experience. The challenge would be finding a job outside the aviation industry after spending years as a pilot. Recruiters would be looking at your experience and not your degree. If all you know how to do is fly a plane and you want to change careers and become a stock broker, it’s going to be difficult to get your foot in the door without previous work or internship experience. For someone wishing to change fields after a flying career, it might be useful to earn a masters degree, as Maurus mentioned. You could then participate in an internship, earning the experience that recruiters are looking for. Just be prepared to not make as much money as you may expect because, again, experience dictates how much you will make. If you spent 10 years flying making let’s say $80k upon departure from your career and then earn an MBA, expect to begin a new career earning half that. Just because you earned an MBA, experience is still a driving factor when it comes to pay. Typically, those coming out of business school have up to 5 years of "relevant" work experience.

Jobs that don't require a special skill like insurance, real estate office jobs. As a Pilot, people will see that your well organized and can take lead. This will look good on any resume.

Pilots are only excel at one thing, they certainly aren't highly motivated and intelligent individuals who are good at thinking on their feet and therefore they are unemployable. IMHO!

:sarcasm:

I have an aviation degree with a management minor, with two years of management experience, so I would look for an airport manager job. I would have to get certain training for this area specifically, and I plan on doing that in my spare time within the next 10 years.

I also owned a technology business for a few years that turned a good buck, so I think I could always find an IT job out there. I also worked at an FBO, so if all else fails, I could pump gas for $10 an hour to pay the bills.

careers_homehero.jpg

For most non-technical fields you'll be fine, assuming you have some experience and/or have demonstrated an ability to pick up new skills quickly. As you get further away from college chronologically, your subject of study becomes far less important than your practical skills--though it's still important to be able to check-off that four-year degree box.

In terms of getting a non-aviation job, "pilot" still has some mystique to it, so that can work in your favor. Further, you can play up the "management" aspects of commercial flying: Entrusted with multi-million dollar equipment and dozens (or hundreds) of paying customers; supervision of customer service staff (FAs), responsibility for regulatory compliance for all aspects of flight. Also, multi-tasking, communications, dealing with challenging situations and (if you fly one of those fancy-shmanzy glass cockpits) computer skills. Being well-travelled and worldly for bonus points.

That said, getting a Master's--especially in business or education--will serve you better still, and many programs are designed to accomodate non-traditional students.

Being a Flight Coordinator is definitely an option. The pay is pretty good and so are the benefits. Check out ARINC, Inc. and Baseops, Inc. (World Fuel). They are both hiring for this position. If you want more information let me know.

I used my aviation management degree as a basis to get into an airport operations job, which led into airport management. You won't get rich, but it was more stable and actually more interesting (to me) than flying had been.

Back