AvGas

Gary

I was instructing today and halfway through the flight we began to smell raw AvGas. We decided to divert back to the airport ASAP. We landed safely... However, upon shutting down, both my student and I felt very sick to our stomach and were somewhat light headed.

I was just wondering how bad being exposed to 100LL fumes constantly for ~10 minutes was. Even with the windows open, it seemed as though we couldn't get rid of the thick fumes until we shut it down. I'm always hearing how terrible lead is in paint products (etc.). Do AvGas fumes have long term side effects?

Thanks in advance.

I was instructing today and halfway through the flight we began to smell raw AvGas. We decided to divert back to the airport ASAP. We landed safely... However, upon shutting down, both my student and I felt very sick to our stomach and were somewhat light headed.

I was just wondering how bad being exposed to 100LL fumes constantly for ~10 minutes was. Even with the windows open, it seemed as though we couldn't get rid of the thick fumes until we shut it down. I'm always hearing how terrible lead is in paint products (etc.). Do AvGas fumes have long term side effects?

Thanks in advance.

You'll be fine. It takes a lot more exposure than that to do something bad.

I'd be more concerned about exactly what was causing the fumes!!!

I inadvertently (through just doing my job) inhaled tons of 100LL fumes when I worked line service, and I have yet to see any short or long term side effects. It's probably not something good to do on a regular basis, but I would be very surprised if you had continuing effects from such a short exposure.

Seriously, did your maintenance folks figure out where the fuel was coming from? Fuel/fire in the cockpit scares the bejabbers out of me.

Back