average line-value at your airline???

dakovich

so whats typical line-value at your airline? i ask because there has been discussion about line value adjustments to mitigate possible furloughs at my place. taking it from the mid-high 80's and making it in the mid 70's. the union has balked at this saying it is in essence a round-about-way to enact a 7-10% pay reduction for our pilot group. i actually miss the days of 70ish hour lines. althought i got paid less, i had way more time at home. back then there was plenty of open-time, so if you wanted to make your line worth more it was pretty easy. open-time for the past year has pretty much been non-existant. be it that there just wasn't open-time or that it was being withheld from us, who knows. they also have not been allowing (as it seems) any changes during our Schedule Adjustment Window, even if the changes are legal and appropriate. now, back to the line value thing. i understand the 70ish hour lines don't affect the more senior guys because they can bid the more productive lines and get plenty of days off while maintaining a high line-value. so a decrease in line value will effect them more. but for the rest of us, the other 80%, the lines are so unproductive it means 11-12 days off per month when line values reach into the mid-high 80's. so when i heard the possibility of 75 hour lines i was all about it, because i'm all about the QOL. discuss

I know here, if the company wanted to drop line values down, there's not crap the union could do about it. Contract guarantees you 75 hours. Anything on top of that is gravy. Not sure what Comair's contract says, though. Saying it's a pay cut is kinda asinine, though. Company's only required to give you a 75 hour guarantee. The guys that fly high speeds wouldn't be taking a pay cut since they'd probably be making the same either way, assuming Comair has high speed lines.

When I was an FO, most of the lines were high 80s-low 90s. Since we went PBS, it's tough to tell what the average line value is. On reserve, I never fly more than 40-50 hours a month right now, and once I get a high speed line, it'll probably stay about the same.

We recently had a slight decrease in the block hours of most of our lines for the month of August. It's hard to find a 3-day with a high block, and I would say that it's half and half of high to low block. We expect to see even less come this September with the reduced flying and currently being overstaffed.

Question. Why would the union be concerned?

You'd think the union would WANT lower credit lines to mitigate furloughs. Way to go ALPA. What is it with Comair's leadership?

You'd think the union would WANT lower credit lines to mitigate furloughs. Way to go ALPA. What is it with Comair's leadership?

Is it really ALPA national's fault that Comair's leadership is being dumb? "Way to go ALPA" and "What is it with Comair's leadership" are two different things. If Comair were represented by the IBT and had the same leadership, the results would be the same.

Our line divisor has been in the mid to high 80s for a while now. I've had 95+ hour lines for three months in a row. Yet, we are going to furlough in October, AFTER COLAs, early outs, and 40 hour line bids. Hmm...

If I am awarded a line over 80 hours in October I'm going to be pissed. That is flying a furloughed or downgraded pilot could be doing.

unions playing "hardball" trying to get some other wrongs righted. company has done some things against the contract and it seems the union is using the furlough situation as a barganing tool to get those things corrected before they'll offer any assistance in terms of furlough mitigation. first off, if i get the axe, i get the axe. i'm not worried too much, i'd just like to see the profession, as a whole, advanced in the long term. if i gotta hurt in the short term, so be it. but this situation with the union seems like the right battle but the wrong place and time.

I just sent my bid in For September a few days ago here at Mesaba. This is my first month as a line holder and my line this month had about 77 hours on it and I picked up a day trip so now its got something like 81. The lines next month (for the 900' F.O. in MEM anyway) are around 80 to 75....

Ours average around 85, but I haven't credited under 97 in the last three months due to weather, rigs, etc. Haven't picked up any open-time. We had a fairly good block per duty hour ratio going... usually around 5:8.5.

That being said, the reduction we'll be experiencing next month will invariably lead to lower credit. From looking at the pairings (haven't seen the actual schedules yet), we'll be working morning flights, sitting around for 2-3 hours at a hub, and then working the early evening flights. The average duty day looks to have climbed from about 10 hours to 12, with a sharp increase in ground time.

Definitely not complaining, as I'm lucky to have a seat... just my observations.

Average block hours for our September schedule on the -200 is at 69.5 hours. Average credit is 74 hours.

Not sure what our average block is, but average credit is 86 hours for the month of August on the 717. Don't know about the 737, but it's usually a few hours less from what I hear.

I didn't know until a few hours ago - actually took the hard work and made it real easy when I get e-mails that directly tell me these things.

I like it when people communicate well.

I'm flying maybe 40-50 hours a month on reserve, but I'm being used every day on reserve. What I'll end up doing is a quick turn worth maybe 2 hours total, come back to base, sit for 4-5 hours waiting on my next assignment that scheduling gave to me, go and do a 12 hour overnight, do one leg the next day with a dead head back to base.

So incredibly unproductive, but also incredibly time consuming.

AVG over the past couple of bids have been 85-90ish. Looks like next month is going down to 80-85ish as we are becoming more 'properly staffed'.

Skywest is in the 75-80 range. Yet I got denied user time last month.
I had 95ish months this summer, but now it is back to ramen, unless I can figure out a part time job.

Back