Average amount of flight time after 4 years at ER Daytona?

**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry if this question has already been posted before, I'm new :) So, what's the average amount of time one might expect to achieve when done with thier 4 years at ER daytona? Thanks..

I would say that the average student completes the private / instrument / commercial / multi-engine classes with about 200 hours of flight training.

Wow, that's surprising considering the admissions counseler at the College of Aeronautics www.aero.edu just told me that I should expect double that! What's wrong here? Maybe because the school is so small, you get more attention? Thanks.. the search continues..

Maybe the College of Aeronautics is part 61?
Remember, the object is to get your certificates and then instruct to build hours and experience.

I dont mean to sound ignorant but i'm not familiar with part #'s. What would that mean if the college is part 61? How would that be different than ER and is it better to have those 400hours there or 200 at ER?
They both offer BS degrees. thanks.

Your question is valid, Ian. Earning your wings at a Part 61 schools, which has fewer restrictions placed on it, requires you fly more hours before being eligible for various licenses. However, a Part 141 school is more closely regulated in how it presents your training. Therefore, it can offer you the same ratings in fewer hours. Regardless of the path you choose, you shouldn't look at the minimum hours complete a rating as a goal. Be realistic, you will probably need more time than many schools advertise in their 'grab your attention' ads. You should be most concerned with safety and quality.

Do you think I should be wary of a Part 61 School? But even if I were to earn my ratings sooner at ER, if I am to expect about 200 hours in 4 years and get the same ratings in 4 years (supposedly) but get more hours at the other school, wouldnt it be nicer to get more time for practice? Do I have this all wrong? Wont I be flying less and get the same thing at ER in 4 years as if i fly more and get the same thing at the College of Aeronautics? Isnt more flying better? I could see if it took me more than 4 years to get the same ratings.. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your replies folks.

The point is that it will not take 4 years to get your certificates. If you are dedicated, you can go from 0 hours to CFI in two years or less. I know of one student here in Daytona that started his private in May, and is now half way through his CFI!!! This is a very rare case, but it can be done.

Four years to get your degree, but not to complete your flight training. If you work hard, you could be close to regional airline minimums(1000tt/100me)by the time you graduate.

I gotcha, so the bottom line is... is it better for me to go to the New york school and potentially get more time or go to ER and potentially get less time? I know the time is up to me, but if i'm hearing that there is more potential for more time at a lower-cost school, is that good?
smile.gif
I hear that there are issues in Daytona about too many students, not enough facilities. Is this why there is less potential for time? Thanks.

ERAU has a better name then the school you mentioned in New York. Hate to say it, everyone knows ERAU as a name and it looks good on your resume.

I have a little under 250 hours with about 50 multi from ERAU in prescott.

The nice thing at ERAU is if you are a good student, you could get your CFI in 1-2 years and then start instructing while finishing your degree.

ERAU also has great internship programs which will help you get into an airline quicker.

Also think about it this way, less hours for your ratings equals less overall cost because you wont be paying for more dual, instead you will be quicker to being the person giving the dual (instructing).

Be more concerned with the quality of facilities, courses, aircraft, etc. Then time for ratings.

Travis

Thanks for the advice, I am going to look at the NY school tomorrow and I hope to apply for ERAU too. Thing is that ER's deadline already passed and although they have a rolling admissions after that, it doesnt leave me with much breathing room. I might have to put that school off for a semester or 2 and just go to community school in the mean time and transfer, again. :)

If I were in your shoes right now and you aren't too worried about starting right away. I would go to your community college for one semeseter get as many classes as you can out of the way like your math's, Physics, humanities whatever will transfer but make sure that they will. And also get your Private Pilots liscense. When you have all that come to ERAU in the Spring and you will save a lot of money and then start your Instrument. I would get your Private where ever and get all other ratings at Riddle. It has the name and it has high standards. I wold definitly recommend it over the other one. It is expensive but well worth the money in the end. And if you are really worried about hours you can get blocks of time in the area and go up with friends split the cost and log the time. You could have more time than you have money if you really want it. Hope I helped you out.

Just a word of advice Ian.
If you are applying to ERAU Daytona for the Fall 2001 term for Aero Science, Im sorry to tell you that they are full up. I just recieved an email saying that I could not be placed for the August 2001 term, and I will now have to either defer my place to Spring 2001 or choose a new non flight major.
JUst wanted to let you know.
Pyrofreak.

Just a question for you.. wouldn't it be better to get your ratings completed and time built as an instructor so that you can get to a Regional quicker - then work on your degree? (I've spoken with several Regional Captains, and they've recommended that route - so that when a pilot has the minimum amount of flight hours they need for the majors, they'll have their degree completed as well.) Just a different perspective I guess. Any thoughts??

There's nothing wrong with doing that Dreamer, but....have you ever tried to work full-time while going to school???

I know from experience that it can be hell. Trying to juggle the two can be very difficult. You can't cut back on your commitment to your job, so you usually end up cutting back on your academic load to compensate. Then you end up taking twice as much time to finish your degree than you intended.

I'm not saying that its impossible, but I know only a few people who are able to pull it off without stressing out. So just think about the number of hours that you will have available in a day once you start working for the regionals, evaluate how many credit hours you'd need to graduate, and then make a realistic estimate of how long it will take you. If that is acceptable to you and you're willing to take on the challenge and have the self discipline....then by all means go for it!!!

Back