Autoland question

JayAre

Heard on tower of a delta flight doing an autoland

Is that required to advise, or just being polite?

No, it's not required, but it gives the tower a heads up to maybe keep airplanes at the approach hold line if possible so there isn't any signal degradation, though they aren't required to do so unless it's really a 600 RVR day.

They were basically asking the tower to protect the ILS signal for them. Not a requirement, but the Delta guys certainly didn't want the tower inadvertently allowing another aircraft to screw up their autoland approach by blocking or interferring with the ILS signal. Once the tower knows, they keep other aircraft from blocking the signal just like in real world low visibility approaches. :)

Auotoland capable aircraft are required to have a "satisfactory" actual autoland logged in the log-book once every 90(?) days in order for the aircraft to stay autoland certified.

Often aircraft will bump up against this limit without the crews having had to do an actual autoland, so Maintenance Control will ask via flight plan remarks that one be done. If it's not done within the specified time there is a fairly lengthy maintenance procedure to reset the clock, but it's a lot easier to have a crew do a practice one...

Kevin

that would suck having to let the plane fly itself,i HATE autopilot,im the pilot not a computer!

I don't like some of the things my autopilot does, but I love what the autopilot can do for workload management. Yes I can fly the airplane, but why overload your self and make a mistake. When you get into some heavy metal when the WX is low, your workload increases, a ton if your hand flying. I find it easier, and I can notice mishaps quicker with the autopilot at the controls.

that would suck having to let the plane fly itself,i HATE autopilot,im the pilot not a computer!

Autopilot is my best friend (not really), but so helpful in hard IFR, especially single-pilot. And, as said above, it allows you to monitor things much more clearly with the attention not wholly on flying... :D ...heck, it's an awesome toy, and I love my toys.

Back