August 2013 Sheffield

Raptor2383

Hey guys, I've been checking out this forum for a few months now and it has been a tremendous resource in helping me to decide to become a dispatcher. I was in the engineering world before, so this will be a major career change for me!

I'm all signed up for the 5 week Sheffield course that starts in late August. Is anyone else on here going to be in the class? I'm already studying for the ADX and reading as many weather books as I can get my hands on!

Anyways, thanks for all the great info on this forum and I hope to be able to contribute very soon.

Depending on the type of engineering degree you have it won't be that big of a change, especially when you start learning the mechanical side and the performance side of dispatching. Best of luck.

Thanks guys. I wasn't an engineer myself, but I did GIS/GPS work with engineering/environmental industry. Not much mechanical knowledge, but i'm hoping i'll be a leg up when it comes to navigation aspects.

Raptor2383 said:
I'm happy to report that all the hard work has paid off and I am currently employed as a dispatcher now!! Thank you to all who contribute to this forum- i probably wouldn't have decided to change careers if it wasn't for you guys and gals.

Excellent news! Congrats!! :)

I'm happy to report that all the hard work has paid off and I am currently employed as a dispatcher now!! Thank you to all who contribute to this forum- i probably wouldn't have decided to change careers if it wasn't for you guys and gals.

Way to go! Just don't blame us when you get fat from eating food at the desk, bald or grey hair from diversions away from hub cities, drink excessively on your days off to ease the pain, dream about work, come home and abuse the cat for an outlet, take up risky behavior just to feel alive, basically enact the narrative of "Fear and Loathing and Las Vegas" within everyday practices, lose your teeth from Meth usage despite the spectre of random drug checks, sell your body and soul before saving enough money to manufacture Meth to supplement your income and feed your habit, then finally get gunned down in your own Meth lab with only a trail of destruction and a hoard of blood money to show for it.

Perhaps we should have mentioned this earlier? Stuff just got real! :ooh:

But seriously, it's a great job and you should feel very proud of your accomplishment. Have fun and keep `em safe!

Last edited:
Back