Attention Potential Riddle Students - Got questions?

[ QUOTE ]
As for the Daytona campus, the most depressing thing is the lack of women
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Before all of us ERAU-West grads belittle you, you had (have) a far better ratio that we did out in Prescott!

You didn't have to drive 2 hours to Flagstaff or 1.5 hours to Phoenix just to be within a quarter mile of a female!

Speaking of ATP, i am considering attending, I was curious as to if your need your PPL before you attend. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/insane.gif

I am currently shuffling around loans (deferments, forberances, etc) until I can land a job at an airline. I had an internship with ExpressJet, which lowers my minimums for an interview. If I work hard, I should be there in a couple of months(I have 150hours left to build and all my required multi time). We'll see how this works out.

Glad to hear of your successes. Once you get your CFI ratings, you should send a resume directly to the stage check guy at Riddle....might give him something to think about.

I'm a Riddle alum and have been accused as a "Riddle basher" in the past. Call it what you what, but I call them as I see them....

"my certificates are no different than those that people get at ER". You're right about that. Nobody cares where you went to school. It's about ratings and experience in the job market.

"teach you the in and outs of Avionics, Turbine Engines, or Large AC Systems and Componets, etc." Honestly, you can take all those classes and more power to you but the airline you get hired at is gonna teach you what they think you need to know. I honestly don't think taking those classes helped me get through big airline ground school one bit.

A Riddle degree is no better than an English degree from liberal arts U. Both fill an important square.

"I don't know how much pull even an ER degree has in the airline anymore" In my experience, a Riddle degree never had any more "pull" than any other degree.

Where Riddle has an advantage is in internships and the like. I never did an internship but I can see how it could be a foot in the door that would be hard to get at a small flight school. Is it worth paying 100K or more to go to Riddle cause of that? I don't know. None of my friends who are working their way up the ladder did an internship. All had non-aviation degrees. None went to Riddle.

My respect for Riddle has taken a huge nosedive ever since the CAPT program started.....what an embarrasment....

Thanks on the Congrats.

As far as instrument conditions go, I will agree that it is difficult to get instrument time out west. I'm glad you and your peers are a confident instrument pilot. I am also glad that you are happy with your decision.

Finally (and I hope this is the last time I have to say this...) just because I say something negative about a school that I have graduated from and a flight line I have attended, doesnt' make it "Riddle Bashing". Rather, it is my opinion and my experience.

Good Luck

I have got ALL my CFIs and am currently working as an instructor for ATP! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had a Nation Wide Cross Country a few weeks ago in a Cessna (Jacksonville to Phoenix). Talk about experience!

I got an internship with ExpressJet last fall and my minimum requirements to get on with them are much lower. If I work hard I will be on with them in a few months. (That would be Pre-Private to FO in less than a year!) I have 150 hours left to build. I will be getting most of that time multi engine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as the good stuff about ERAU's academics (Turbines, Systems, Etc..) it sure helped me shine during the ground school I took on my internship. I did better than my fellow interns who were Commercial Pilots at the time (I was pre-private) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bandit.gif. It just helped me understand things before I got there.

Anyway... Thanks for the support DE727UPS... I appreciate it.

Boeing Boy747

ATP also offers a Private Pilot Program with their Airline Career Pilot Program. That is the program I did. 60 days (85 hours of flight time) in Jacksonville. You get your license around 40-50 hours and the rest of the time is spent doing IFR Cross Countries with an instructor as Initial IFR training.

Call ATP @ 1-800-ALLATPS for more information on the programs. The instructors in the office are more than happy to talk to you!

I went to the Jacksonville location for my entire program (PVT-ACPP). You have a choice of 8 locations for the 90 day ACPP. (Jacksonville; Stuart, FL; Atlanta, Washington DC, Dallas, Phoenix, Sacramento, and Riverside) Take your pick!

Good Luck on your search and please read the ATP threads here on Jetcareers! Ask Questions!

Re: Attention Potential Riddle Students - Got ques

The biggest problem I have with academics here is that it's waaaay too "big ol' jet" oriented, which then can screw up students' priorities. Students are led to believe that they're being prepared to go fly jets straight out of college, when in fact the vast vast majority of us will be making $12k/year teaching snot-nosed kids how to land.

For example, I'm taking a lower-level human factors course during the summer at the moment, which is populated by mostly private pilots (none with instrument ratings yet). The professor, however, doesn't seem to realize that he's giving these folks the wrong idea of what happens when you have 250-300 hours and a CFI ticket. He put a Lear 45 on the screen and said (verbatim): "some of you may fly this really soon," which was followed by nods of approval from the class. Can't anyone tell it how it is? You look for an instructor job that pays nickels and dimes, and hope someone hires you before your loans eat you alive. Hell, at least that's what I'm doing. Gah.

This is a side story, but I'm riled up enough to tell it. The other day, I had a guy tell me that he "thought he went the extra mile by doing his CFI at ERAU." I just busted my ass everyday for 4 weeks to get my ticket, and this dude is telling me he "went the extra mile"? I controlled my temper with this guy, but man...this kinda crap has to stop.

<<Students are led to believe that they're being prepared to go fly jets straight out of college, when in fact the vast vast majority of us will be making $12k/year teaching snot-nosed kids how to land>>

You do realize by saying this you imply that every one of us who learned to fly at one point is a rich kid learning to fly. I think you may have got the wrong impression, or maybe that is an ERAU impression. I know I worked my a$$ of in flight training and making the money to pay for that training. Going from zero flight time to a commercial and instrument ticket in 3 semesters doesn't mean some of us are snot-nosed kids it just means we are dedicated.

Pardon my semantics. No offense was meant. I barely had to work for where I am today.

RiddlePilot
CFI

"The biggest problem I have with academics here is that it's waaaay too "big ol' jet" oriented, which then can screw up students' priorities."

Yeah...I wanted to make that point but couldn't figure out how to say it right. You are so right about that. It was about 10 years between my turbine engines class and UPS 727 ground school. What UPS wanted me to know was well presented and that fact that I had taken a turbine engines class 10 years earlier didn't help me at all.

They should be teaching you how to fly a wide variety of light aircraft and spend more time on helping you be a good CFI than on large aircraft systems.

Could you explain your last paragraph again, I didn't get it....

Sorry, the last paragraph was just a rant on a cocky ERAU pilot I know. I kind of got carried away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But basically, I did my CFI away from Riddle at a flight school across the way. I had a guy telling me that he "went the extra mile" because he stuck around at ERAU to get his CFI. He even had the nerve to tell me that he was better trained than a CFI trained outside of ERAU. Not cool.

I'm by no means implying everyone is like this, but this sort of attitude is an unfortunate trend 'round here.

Back