Attending Pan Am

AV8R_N8

Hello,

I am currently attending Embry-Riddle (Daytona Campus). I just transfered in this semester, with my Commercial Multi Engine Instrument. I am working on my Commercial Single at a Local FBO. Originally I was planning on finishing my CFI/CFII/MEI with Riddle, but after looking at some of the acadamies, I am questioning it. To tell you the truth I am tired of the regular old FBO training. I have recieved all my training so far through FBOs and worried that I havent recieved the structured training that I need to make it to the airlines. So I am hoping by going to one of these Acadamies, they can train me the way the airlines want me trained. My question is this...If I attend Pan Am with Commercial Multi Instrument and Commercial Single, what is the first thing they will do with me? Will they first train me to their standards (i.e. make sure all my Instrument skills, and general knowledge, etc. are good to go) Or will they just start me off in my CFI training? I would prefer the first. What my plans are to do is finish my last year of school at Riddle and then attend one of the acadamies, get the rest of my ratings, flight instruct, and complete the ACE program. Any comments would greatly be appreciated. I am just worried that I didnt get enough structured training. Do you guys think I am to far into my training for it to make a difference. Don't get me wrong, im confident in my abilities to fly an airplane, but am I really ready to fly an airline? I dont know... Thanks in advance. just a side note I am considering Pan Am, Delta Connections, and Regional Airline Acadamy. Any comments to pros or cons with these acadamies would be great. Thanks Again.

Nate

Well, I think if you come to Pan Am and tell them what you are looking to do, they will gladly sit you in front of an assistant chief or the chief pilot himself and come up with a standardization program to get you inline with the type of training/pilot they put out.

After that you would do ACE then your instructor ratings. That is of course if you want to pursue your teaching career at Pan Am. otherwise i think you can tailor it however you want.

Either way, if you are seriuos about getting to the airlines i think it is wise for you to come to an academy. I think it shows a level of seriousness about your career.

Thanks shortfinal for the reply. I am very anxious and excited to start attending one of these academies (narrowed it down to Pan Am and Delta Connection). I'm planning on just finishing my aviation classes at ERAU and attending an academy a year from now. I wish I didn’t have to wait that long. I called both Delta and Pan Am academies and they said that I would take a standardization course when I get there, so they can bring me up to par. So now I have to pick one of the academies, and play the waiting game. I am going to go visit both academies this coming week, so hopefully that will help me make a decision. Thanks again

Nate

One more thing to remember...
Pan Am now does interviews for hiring CFI's. Before, if you completed all your ratings (and ACE) at Pan Am and passed the stand's class you were hired. Now they added in an interview after all the other stuff.
The interview is one more tool for them to use to "weed out" people they don't want working there. With the backlog of instructors, they may be using that tool more often. But in another year who know's, they may be hiring off the street.

The Turk.

Why leave the Daytona Beach area when you can receive structured training with Phoenix East Aviation, just across the airport from ERAU? You would save time if you do the CFI's while still in college. Start earning a living even before you finish at ERAU. This would put you a year or more ahead of schedule. The CFI training is structured, and just what you requested. After teaching for a time, you are ready for the next phase of training that will help you during Basic Indoc at a regional airline or corporate pilot slot. This training is offered free to Pea’s Flight Instructors. Look at their web site, www.pea.com for full course subjects offered. It includes right and left seat training in their glass cockpit FTD (visual), CRM, turbo prop and turbo jet systems, EFIS, AFDS, FMC, and interview prep.

Shooter13:
No different than the advice you give or the “running ad” that TheFlyingTurkey reports on his Pan Am experience.

Someone is a bit touchy...Been hitting the "their all out to get me pipe a lot lately???"

And you mistake what I am asking. What you wrote was seriously something I would expect to see on an advertisement. I was asking you if you were giving opinion based on your personal or otherwise knowledge or if you were quoting an ad. Simple question, don't huff and puff fella

And you will also note that Turkey's experiences are in the Pan Am forum.

OK already. I'm a Riddle grad an happen to know about PEA's programs. A lot of the students(ERAU) go to PEA for flight training because of the high...HIGH cost at Riddle. Lets retire the subject and move on. Peace!

ERJ just out of curiosity.

if one were to go through the entire program at Riddle, ratings and degree, what would they end up spending?

And, to your knowledge, are the airlines more apt to hire someone with an aeronautical science degree, then say US history or something not aviation related?

AV8R_N8,
I am not trying to start a fight between schools or anything so hopefully any and all Pan-Am students will take this as a suggestion for you only.

If you are looking for a structured program with high standards you might try FSA. They have a very intense CFI program. First, they will do an evaluation flight with you to see where you are at. If you need to be brought up to speed on anything they will tackle that first. They will hammer you on the systems and checklists for the aircraft pretty good. The checklists are some of the best I have seen. They are very thorough. As a new student I beleive you can audit any "one" ground school from a previous rating for free (like maybe instrument, if you need some brushing up). You may check with them to see if they still let you do that. After getting you up to speed, you would then enter the CFI ground which is a vey intense class. FSA is one of the most thorough schools I have seen. Their only goal is to help you become the most proficient pilot you can be. The staff is awesome and are alway's there to help. You can drop by the ground school instructors offices or schedule an appointment at any time and they will sit down with you free of charge for as many hours as it takes to help you learn something. If you went through their CFI program and spent some time using what you learned there as an instructor you will be ready for that first regional job...

BTW: I am a Riddle student as well. One year left using the extended campus program...

Good luck,
ILS

[ QUOTE ]
if one were to go through the entire program at Riddle, ratings and degree, what would they end up spending?

[/ QUOTE ]

$100k+. Not worth it, in my opinion.

CLR4ILS,

Thanks for the response. I have heard a lot of great things about FSI, It is definantly on my list. So far right now its a toss up between DCA and FSI. I have visited DCA and really liked it. So I just need to visit FSI and see what I think. I still have a year left at riddle so I have plenty of time for the decision. By the way, which extended campus are you at? Thanks again,

Nate

AV8r,

So, what made you decide against Pan Am if you don't mind.

Back