Attending MTSU Fall 2010

MTSU_pilot

I will be attending MTSU this Fall and I am looking for any tips from previous or current students. I am a private pilot with 90 hours. I have some experience in the Diamond aircraft now that I am also working at a Diamond Flight Center here in Georgia. I read some where about submitting a form so that I could get a flight lab in the Fall because I have heard that most freshmen do not fly first semester even if they have a private pilot rating. Any advice or opinions on groups to join or things to prepare would be helpful. I can't wait to attend MTSU. GO BLUE RAIDERS!!!!

There are a few of us here on JC that went to MTSU and have gone throught the flight program there.

It is a great program with A LOT of resources! Personally I know there are FRASCA sims, multi sims, G-1000 sims and a 727 sim.

The chief pilot Mr. Mosey is a cool character once you get to know him.

I don't really know if you can get a lab or not the first semester but I do know recently they haven't had many students. This can be a benefit to you.

WELCOME to Jet Careers!

I'm a current flight student at MTSU so if you have any questions feel free to ask! The program is doing great right now, we recently added some more DA-40's to the fleet and I think we are up to 19 total. Of those all except 4 or 5 are G1000 equipped with Garmin's new synthetic vision package.

The college operates its training through "flight labs". Each semester, students must submit a flight lab application to the flight school (the flight school does its own thing independent of campus). The flight labs are awarded based on GPA, so I'm not sure how it would work for a fresh incoming student. I know MTSU tends to discourage freshman flying in the first semester, but I also have heard of several students who turned in their flight lab applications and got a fall slot. I guess you could give it a shot and see what happens!

Here is the Aerospace Department's website. If you look on the right side column that is where you can find the flight lab applications and info packet. I'd say complete it and mail it in, it can't hurt. The deadline for a flight lab next Fall 2009 is July 15.

As for recommendations, I'd say start learning the Diamond systems and the G1000 if you don't have any experience with it. That's cool you're working at a Diamond center, so maybe you'll be a step ahead! I assume instrument is your next goal? If so then I'd recommend start reading into instrument knowledge, things like approach plates, regs, etc. There are also several aerospace organizations on campus that you could join once you arrive in the fall.

Good luck and welcome to MTSU!

I have heard about the freshmen flight slots. I would like to fly first semester so I can get right to work on my instrument rating. I have been studying like crazy for it but I am waiting to do my flight time and actual ground courses at MTSU.

I will be attending the CUSTOMS session in June and hope to turn in my flight lab request form on one of those days while I am there.

I actually am working at two flight schools this summer. One is a Cessna Pilot Center and dealership and the other is the Diamond Flight Center. I have already got my info manual for the DA40 and I am checked out in a 2005/2006/2009 Cessna 172 G1000 with the 2009 one having the GFC 700 autopilot. I am looking into getting checked out in a DA20 and a 2008 DA40XLS at the Diamond Flight Center during this summer so I can start familiarizing myself with the airplane and the way it flies.

Right now I am just a part of AOPA but I am looking forward to joining the flight team and possibly the aerospace fraternity.

Thanks again for all your advice, anything else will help a lot.

GO RAIDERS!

Cool, Customs should be a lot of fun. If my memory serves correctly they try and match up your group with other people in your department/major, so you might get a chance to meet some other aerospace folks. Be advised if you turn in your lab form in person it must go to the Flight School building out at the Murfreesboro Airport, not the Aerospace Department on campus.

That's great you've got a head start on the Diamond! Sounds like a way cool way to spend the summer. When I did instrument the hardest part was honestly getting to know the G1000 and how to make it do everything you want. I believe about half of our fleet has the GFC700 autopilot, which you'll get a chance to use during training. The other half has a KAP140, which can be a bit finicky, but not too bad. I've flown the Diamond as well as Cessna and Piper and really the only difference I noticed was a bit more float on landing. The thing will really glide, heck, I think its design came from a glider. Besides that, the only other thing I had to get used to was having a blue lever and setting the engine on manifold pressure and not RPM.

Another suggestion I would have is studying for the written exam. Many flight students seem to put it off until the very end of the lab and only then begin studying. If you can start practicing some of the questions like distance/time/fuel calculations and learning some of the more "memory" items like sensory illusions, weather info, and regulations, then you'll have a much easier semester!

AOPA is a great resource and has many informative articles for training! I know the flight team is always looking for new members and I know they're always looking for motivated members! If you're interested you can check out NIFA which is the organization that our flight team participates in. I think they also have a Facebook group.

Good luck and enjoy Customs!

Back