ATR-42 down in LBB - all survived

Mad Doggy Dog

ATR-42 down in LBB - all survived!

All of north TX is an ice machine this morning.
------------------------------------------------------

LUBBOCK, Texas — A FedEx cargo plane crashed during landing Tuesday at Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport.

Airport director James Loomis says both crew members were taken to a hospital, but FedEx spokeswoman Sandra Munoz (moon-YOHZ') says both were able to walk from the crash.

The crash happened just after 4:30 a.m. Tuesday as the ATR-42 twin-turboprop aircraft was arriving from Fort Worth Alliance Arport in a freezing mist. Officials say the plane came down at the end of the runway, veered off and caught fire. Loomis said the fire was quickly extinguished. He said weather wasn't a factor in the crash, but Munoz says the plane had skidded off the runway.

A supervisor at University Medical Center in Lubbock said the two crew members were being evaluated.

The plane was operated by Coeur d'Alene, Idaho-based Empire Airways under contract with Memphis, Tenn.-based FedEx Corp.

ATR-42 down in LBB - all survived!

All of north TX is an ice machine this morning.
------------------------------------------------------

The crash happened just after 4:30 a.m. Tuesday as the ATR-42 twin-turboprop aircraft was arriving from Fort Worth Alliance Arport in a freezing mist. Officials say the plane came down at the end of the runway, veered off and caught fire. Loomis said the fire was quickly extinguished. He said weather wasn't a factor in the crash, but Munoz says the plane had skidded off the runway.

ATR, crash, freezing rain/mist..... Interesting.

I await the NTSB's report on this one!

Freezing rain alert...ATR....weather not a factor?

Wasn't the problem with icing the reason Eagle moved their ATRs to S Florida and Puerto Rico.

Freezing rain alert...ATR....weather not a factor?

Wasn't the problem with icing the reason Eagle moved their ATRs to S Florida and Puerto Rico.

Yes, but then a modification was done to the boots and they returned to the ORD system where they flew until ORD went all RJ in 1998.

From the comments at the bottom of the article...

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/012...82118854.shtml
"Posted by: cherubs88 at Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:18:13 am

By any chance did this flight originate in Nashville?
Please respond I need to know if my computer is on there"

I wish some people would just fall off a cliff... how completely disrespectful and self centered.

Glad it sounds like both pilots will be ok.

I had a very vivid, real dream that while we were holding short of a runway, a Fedex high-wing, turbo-prop skidded off the side after landing. I was extremely amazed when I saw the story on this morning's news. Especially since I had no idea Fedex had an aircraft that resembled an ATR. Weird.

Glad everyone is ok.

I had a very vivid, real dream that while we were holding short of a runway, a Fedex high-wing, turbo-prop skidded off the side after landing. I was extremely amazed when I saw the story on this morning's news. Especially since I had no idea Fedex had an aircraft that resembled an ATR. Weird.

Glad everyone is ok.

PM me lottery numbers please.

In all seriousness though glad to hear the crew is fine.

That sucks, I have a lot of time in the COEX ATRs that Empire bought. I'm curious about the tail number. Since it crashed after landing I doubt it had anything to do with the aircraft design. I came in to DFW last night as the wx was starting to go down and that mist was definitely fairly thick.

I was based in CLE when I flew it and you could load that airplane up with ice no problem.

Glad everyone is ok.

Wow, that's crazy! I've heard similar story's from other people having dreams, and them seeing them the next day.

NTSB ADVISORY

National Transportation Safety Board
Washington, DC 20594

January 28, 2009

NTSB INVESTIGATING CRASH OF CARGO PLANE IN TEXAS

The National Transportation Safety Board has dispatched a
team to investigate yesterday's crash of an ATR-42 operated
by Empire Airlines for FedEx. The plane crashed on approach
to Lubbock, Texas. The two crewmembers survived.

At about 5:00 a.m. CST Tuesday, January 27, 2009, Empire
Airlines flight 8284, operating a FedEx-owned ATR-42
(N902FX), crashed 300 feet short of the threshold while on
an Instrument Landing System (ILS) approach to Runway 17 at
Lubbock International Airport, Lubbock, Texas. The plane
was arriving from Fort Worth, Texas. The aircraft was
destroyed by crash forces and a post-impact fire.

Weather at the time was reported as overcast ceiling at 500
feet above ground level, visibility 2 miles with light
freezing drizzle and mist, and wind 020 degrees at 11 knots.

The flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder will be
removed from the wreckage and shipped to the NTSB's
laboratories in Washington, D.C.

Senior Air Safety Investigator Leah Yeager is the
Investigator-in-Charge of the NTSB team. Joining the
investigation are representatives from the Federal Aviation
Administration; FedEx; Empire Airlines; the French aviation
accident investigative authority, the BEA; Avions de
Transport Regional (ATR); and Pratt & Whitney Engines.

Back