ATP's ATP Practical Gouge

C150J

Hi guys,

Figured I'd post in here to get more exposure than the "Checkride Central" forum. Does anyone have any gouge on the format of the ATP ride that most of the DEs conduct at ATP? Is it some steep turns, stalls, and several approaches? The PTS seems all-encompassing, so I'm just curious as to what most rides center around. For those instructing at ATPs, is there a high failure rate on this ride?

There was a very high pass rate on ATP rides when I was there, like 100%. The ride was always straight from the PTS, no surprises.

There was a very high pass rate on ATP rides when I was there, like 100%. The ride was always straight from the PTS, no surprises.

Thanks Clocks...

Definitely not looking for a free ticket by any means. Just trying to get it for career enhancement should I lose my current 121 seat. Seeing that upgrade here is unforseeable, I thought I might venture out to get it myself. It would probably be a lot easier getting it with my company (our PCs are an ATP ride every year), so I'm just nervous about jumping in a piston twin again.

Thanks Clocks...

Definitely not looking for a free ticket by any means. Just trying to get it for career enhancement should I lose my current 121 seat. Seeing that upgrade here is unforseeable, I thought I might venture out to get it myself. It would probably be a lot easier getting it with my company (our PCs are an ATP ride every year), so I'm just nervous about jumping in a piston twin again.
If its been a while since you've been in a seminole (or never) then invest in the extra hours. The 2 day course is FAST (2 flights). The 10 hour program was enough to take military guys with zero piston time through it with no problem, but now you're looking at $3800.

It's been over a year but I believe there are mostly system questions on the oral, so study that material ahead of time. Also be familiar with MELs...probably not an issue if you've been out in the real world.

Otherwise it's really basic instrument stuff. Steep turns under the hood, approaches, stalls.

Thanks Clocks...

I'm surprised you didn't upgrade already if you have ATP mins. The most junior captain on the Dash is like 50 numbers from the bottom of the seniority list because nobody had ATP mins.

The problem is that the checkride of course varies by location, or rather, by examiner. If you were to take it in DFW I would be your instructor and could help you out with what it is like here. Mostly though it is two part: Maneuvers and approaches. The ride follows the PTS.

I have completed about 2 dozen ATP rides now. They are mostly military guys and if a jet guy who has not flown a piston in 20 years can make it with no issues, so can you.

I'm surprised you didn't upgrade already if you have ATP mins. The most junior captain on the Dash is like 50 numbers from the bottom of the seniority list because nobody had ATP mins.

You might have me confused with someone else... I don't work for a company that operates Dash aircraft.

You might have me confused with someone else... I don't work for a company that operates Dash aircraft.
Ah, oops! In any case, I would wait until you actually know for sure if you've still got a job. It's not like ATP will go anywhere and it would be nice not to have to spend a few grand if you don't have to.

Oral is almost exclusively systems for the PA44. The supplement we send out will cover it all.

Flight in JAX location is Take off, engine failure on take off 500', steep turns, three approach to stalls, unusual attitudes, engine shutdown and restart, three approaches- one single engine approach, three take offs and landings. :rawk:

Hi, i'm interested on earning my ATP cert. at atp i mentioned on another theme i was interested to get comm. multi faa, i fly in mexico and i flew the B737 200/ 300 for i year now i'm on the erj 145, my concerns are, is hard to get the atp cert. on the seminole?, what location would you recommend me?, any tips for the training? do i receive the right traning?, (even though i know atp's reputation), please need some advice. thanks.

Hey Cocks, did you take the CRJ program at ATP? What are your thoughts on paying 6k for that program? Worthit or worthless?

Hey Cocks, did you take the CRJ program at ATP? What are your thoughts on paying 6k for that program? Worthit or worthless?
I didn't do the program.

I can make this very short to avoid sparking the debate: My advice if you want to pass airline ground school? Use your II. The only thing the airline doesn't have time you teach you during ground school is how to be proficient at instrument flying.

What will you take an abbreviated look at in a CRJ course? Flows? Callouts? Systems? What the heck do you think your future airline employer is going to teach you for 6 weeks :)

Someone might be leaving their regional FO job for a corporate gig that wants an ATP.

Word. Though you'd think unless their going up for a PIC position that the future employer would understand doing it with the new type. Paying for the ATP in "todays economy" in "todays job environment" would be pretty taxing.

Back