ATP written

bluelake

I am pondering studying for the ATP written later this winter, and am wondering the following:

Is there a different knowledge test for 121 vs 135? I have seen test prep software differentiate this way. If so, which should I pick. as a CFI, my most likely next job would be a 135 job... but one never knows.

Who is required to "sign me off" as ready for the written test? Do I need an endorsement?

Thanks,
Dean

Taken from AC 61-65D

16. AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT CERTIFICATION. Specific knowledge, flight proficiency, flight experience, and endorsement requirements for an ATP certificate is located in part 61,
subpart G. See Appendix 1, endorsements 40 and 41.

a. An applicant for an ATP certificate must possess one of the following:

(1) A commercial pilot certificate and an instrument - (airplane, helicopter, or powered-lift) rating issued under part 61;

(2) A foreign ATP or a foreign commercial pilot license and an instrument - (airplane, helicopter, or powered-lift) rating, without limitations, issued by a contracting state to the convention on international civil aviation; or

(3) Be a military pilot or former military pilot and have met the requirements of § 61.73 that qualifies the applicant for a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument - (airplane, helicopter, or powered-lift) rating.

b. An instructor recommendation is not required, unless the applicant has failed the practical test and this is a retest (per § 61.49). Applicants for retest must comply with the appropriate retest requirements of § 61.49. In addition, § 61.49 requires that the instructor sign the applicant’s FAA Form 8710-1 for the retest.

Yes you take either the '135' or '121' version of the written. Does it matter which? Not really. When you go for your flight test your certificate is going to say 'ATP' - it won't say 135 or 121. When I took it I took the 121 version as I was flying for an airline at the time and was most familiar with the 121 regulations. 121 version has 121 regs and the systems, performance, and weight and balance stuff is centered around 'airline' equipment - a DC9 and 727 if I remember correctly. 135 version obviously has more 135 regs and they use a smaller airplane for the systems and other stuff - a Beech 1900 if memory serves.

I don't think one is necessarily easier than the other but if you're more familiar with 135 regs I'd take that one. It's not going to matter to an employer which version of the written you took.

Jason

I think your passed test is only valid for two years unless you're employed by a 121 (135?) operation. So if you're not close to getting the actual rating, wait to take the test. Anyone got a reference for that?

By all means, begin studying though!

to all,

Thanks for the info.

I know the test is only good for two years, but I am going to go into the winter months with about 700+ hours, so I dont think its too early to study and take the written. I'd rather have the written on my resume and have to study it all a second time than explain in some interview the reasons for putting it off.

For me, it probably makes sense to aim for the 135 angle.. since I would imagine my next employer will more likely be 135 than 121.

DeanR

[ QUOTE ]
. I'd rather have the written on my resume and have to study it all a second time than explain in some interview the reasons for putting it off.

For me, it probably makes sense to aim for the 135 angle.. since I would imagine my next employer will more likely be 135 than 121.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since many places (121) actually require that the ATP written be completed as a part of their minimum requirements, you'd most likely never be called for an interview at those places, especially in the current market. They would just screen your application out as not having met the minimums. It would be a good idea to get the written done. Additionally, if you do the written and 2 years runs out, and you are employed by a 135 carrier and have completed their initial training program, then your written is still good for the ATP ride.

Ray

I know it is a little late for a response, but that is what happens when you get based in Nome Ak for 10 days. I took my written just over a month ago, and was glad I waited. I had been flying 135 for about 4 months before I took it and it helped. The performance questions were about the BE1900 which is what I am flying so that helped also. I would recommend waiting until you are nearing hiring mins or the ATP mins.

no response is too late
smile.gif
thanks.

Back