ATP written valid for 24 months, Unless...

skinswin34

If you take your ATP checkride with a recently expired written, does being employed at a 121 airline get you out of re-taking the written. I'm not asking blindly, I've just heard and read several different answers since I started investigating this subject and wanted to hear from the G.P.
Thx

If you're employed at a 121 carrier prior to the written's published expiration date, the written results are valid for the time you work at the carrier.

For example, if you took a written May 1, 2007 and you got a job at a 121 carrier December 2007, and you don't get to upgrade until 2012, as long as you are continuously employed at the carrier, you don't have to re-take the written

Polar is correct... and to back up the GP, here's the FAR:

FAR 61.39(b) said:
(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:

(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved—

(i) Pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; and

(ii) Qualification training requirements appropriate to the certificate and rating sought;

Bob

There seems to be a lot of confusion and different interpretations of the Regs. regarding the ATP written. I recently took my ATP checkride and was able to use my expired written...

I took my ATP Written in March 2007, and I was furloughed (121) January 2009. My written expired on March 2009. I wanted to take my ATP checkride in a light twin Part 61 in April, but I was unsure if I could use my now expired written exam. The DPE told me I was good to go, since I am still "working" at my airline. However, I called up my local FSDO to confirm. The FSDO had to call Oklahoma City to confirm as well. It took about a week to get an answer and clarification, but they all assured me I was good to go.

My DPE knew how to handle this situation, as he had dealt with it before. We just did a paper 8710, because IACRA would just reject your written and say it is expired. We also attached a copy of my furlough letter to proof that I still had a seniority number and was on "furlough status". It's was a bit of a pain in the butt, but I was glad I didn't have to retake the written, because I think it's the hardest part of the actual ATP checkride:D

I'm not sure where everyone gets this whole "continuously employed" by an airline requirement in order to use an expired ATP written. You do not need to be continuously employed by an airline, just employed. That and complete that air carrier's approved upgrade training program.

Here's the appropriate excerpt from 61.39:

"(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:

(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved—

(i) Pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; and

(ii) Qualification training requirements appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; or

(2) Is employed as a flight crewmember in scheduled U.S. military air transport operations at the time of the practical test, and has accomplished the pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought."

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure where everyone gets this whole "continuously employed" by an airline requirement in order to use an expired ATP written. You do not need to be continuously employed by an airline, just employed. That and complete that air carrier's approved upgrade training program.

I guess I could have worded my example more carefully.

well I never took nor passed an upgrade course; nor do I assume did crj driver, yet we each took an ATP ride last month with expired writtens. Were our D.P..s in error?

(2) Is employed as a flight crewmember in scheduled U.S. military air transport operations at the time of the practical test, and has accomplished the pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought."
Good news for all the loadmasters out there working toward their ATP tickets. :D

Back