ATP without Commercial?

LostComm

Hi all!

I have colleague who holds a commercial single with an instrument rating. He wants to get a multi, and has taken the ATP written. As I read part 61, he needs to do a commercial/instrument multi first, but I could be wrong...

Would things change if he did an ATP single and then did a multi add on to his ATP? Thanks to all!

Lostcomm

Hi all!

I have colleague who holds a commercial single with an instrument rating. He wants to get a multi, and has taken the ATP written. As I read part 61, he needs to do a commercial/instrument multi first, but I could be wrong...

Would things change if he did an ATP single and then did a multi add on to his ATP? Thanks to all!

Lostcomm

(d) Meet at least one of the following requirements:

(1) Holds a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating issued under this part;

(2) Meet the military experience requirements under § 61.73 of this part to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States; or

(3) Holds either a foreign airline transport pilot license with instrument privileges, or a foreign commercial pilot license with an instrument rating, that—

(i) Was issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation; and

(ii) Contains no geographical limitations.

I don't see where it talks about needing to be a multi or single commercial first.

Hi all!

Lostcomm

Unfortunately there is not an add-on with abbreviated tasks at the ATP level. It's the full checkride & maneuvers for every category/ class.

As long as he meets all the ATP requirements, has a current written, there's no reason that he couldn't get an ATP AMEL. He'll still have the "Commercial Pilot Privileges: ASEL" bit, but it doesn't say anything anywhere about needing a Commercial AMEL before you can get an ATP (despite the fact that most people do it that way).

As long as he meets all the ATP requirements, has a current written, there's no reason that he couldn't get an ATP AMEL. He'll still have the "Commercial Pilot Privileges: ASEL" bit, but it doesn't say anything anywhere about needing a Commercial AMEL before you can get an ATP (despite the fact that most people do it that way).
I also noticed the 14 FAR/AIM requires 50nhours in class before an ATP multi...

Back