ATP/Type Ride/FOQ Complete... and a little extra.

Is Eagle making it a 1 item bust and you are done checkride? Everything I'd read (including Charlie's write up) made it sound like a regular PC oral and ride.
I don't know, I don't work there anymore. ;)

To my knowledge (ask me in six months when I come back to the schoolhouse for confirmation), ours is a full jeopardy/threat event.

First of all Congrats! Always feels good to get on the other end of any training event. Esp. a 'milestone' such as a type ride.

Second, a question... is a full type (PIC) rating required per HR5900 for all crewmembers by the end of next summer? For instance, airlines like jetBlue (and all the regionals) who don't fully type their FO's should be going through an extra training event next year sometime to bring them up to compliance? (Or, is it just an ATP that's required?)

Thanks.

Congrats! I was one of the first ones to go through the AQP training cycle and get the type and ATP but I guess I felt like it was more of a box to check rather than extra training to improve CRM and skill set.

First of all Congrats! Always feels good to get on the other end of any training event. Esp. a 'milestone' such as a type ride.

Second, a question... is a full type (PIC) rating required per HR5900 for all crewmembers by the end of next summer? For instance, airlines like jetBlue (and all the regionals) who don't fully type their FO's should be going through an extra training event next year sometime to bring them up to compliance? (Or, is it just an ATP that's required?)

Thanks.
There is no final rule available yet. The proposed rule is floating around on FAA.gov though.

And an ATP ride and a type ride are, if memory serves, checking off the same boxes PTS wise.

This post is brought to you by Beta. Beta: chicks dig it.

There is no final rule available yet. The proposed rule is floating around on FAA.gov though.

And an ATP ride and a type ride are, if memory serves, checking off the same boxes PTS wise.

It is 'checking off the extra boxes' - but it is also more than that. I can get an ATP in a light twin (or even a 172RG for the ATP SE) but for 121 each portion of your training program has to be approved - # or hours doing this or that, number of sim sessions, etc. I am just wondering if anyone knows if 121 carriers are going to be required to give a 'full type' to all crewmembers in the next round of recurrent or initial training once the rule goes into effect or if people that already have an ATP are covered? Basically, my air carrier gives out the 'SIC' type to probably save on training costs - are they going to be required to 'upgrade' it to a full type? Also, are 'SIC' types going away? (Will I have a bunch of 'dinosaurs' on my certificate for the next 30+ years and extra paperwork transferring over my SIC types every time I go into the schoolhouse or fill out something in IACRA)

Is Eagle making it a 1 item bust and you are done checkride? Everything I'd read (including Charlie's write up) made it sound like a regular PC oral and ride.

Anything but, actually. And they made it repeatedly clear at the schoolhouse.. This was a ATP ride and PIC type ride. This was a double-buster. You're mistaken if you believe we're getting anything but.

What I said about non-jeopardy events and PCs was in regard to Captain's upgrade. Since we're already going to be ATP/PIC typed, the Upgrade program will consist of the normal 9 periods of sim training/seat familiarization followed by a PC for currency. Previously, Captain candidates had to swallow the whole experience of seat swap, ATP ride, PIC ride, etc, ad nauseum, all at once. Now it's just broken up over time. FOs get the level of certification and aircraft training as their left seat counterparts but still face the same risks. If anybody, upgrading Captains are getting a break, but only because they've already previously passed the required checking events.

.. and thanks.

Thanks!

As I understand it, the PIC type isn't a legal requirement yet- just the ATP. The FAA has been strongly encouraging the PIC type, however, so some airlines are implementing into the training process just to cover all their bases. I'm happy to have it, either way. Not much you can do with an SIC type.

Thanks!

As I understand it, the PIC type isn't a legal requirement yet- just the ATP. The FAA has been strongly encouraging the PIC type, however, so some airlines are implementing into the training process just to cover all their bases. I'm happy to have it, either way. Not much you can do with an SIC type.

Thanks for the reply... I thought it was only the ATP per the new legislation... and we all know what the beancounters do when something is deemed 'optional' or 'encouraged.' I was hoping that the 'SIC' types would be going away.

Thanks for the reply... I thought it was only the ATP per the new legislation... and we all know what the beancounters do when something is deemed 'optional' or 'encouraged.' I was hoping that the 'SIC' types would be going away.

It may still go away. My company is of the mindset that we're better off just getting it all out of the way. Since the PIC type and ATP all too often go hand-in-hand, they just left it that way. It was easier, and seemed prudent. The Feds haven't actually said if the PIC type will be required or not, I think. Currently optional, but 'highly encouraged'.

This many not really mean anything, but in the 135 world, some of the most respectable and safe companies I've seen run dual PIC crews. That is, both crewmembers are PIC checked, typed(and paid) and can occupy either seat if scheduling really needs. There's still a captain for the flight... because well there has to be someone in charge.

This many not really mean anything, but in the 135 world, some of the most respectable and safe companies I've seen run dual PIC crews. That is, both crewmembers are PIC checked, typed(and paid) and can occupy either seat if scheduling really needs. There's still a captain for the flight... because well there has to be someone in charge.

A great concept, in my opinion. Anything that gets away from the 'meat in the seat' mentality is good. A two pilot aircraft requires two pilots- not a pilot and an 'apprentice'.

A great concept, in my opinion. Anything that gets away from the 'meat in the seat' mentality is good. A two pilot aircraft requires two pilots- not a pilot and an 'apprentice'.
Agreed. What's funny, is I see it even one single pilot aircraft. KA200 for example. Two pilots paid in excess of 60k to sit right or left seat in a single pilot airplane. Company must be nuckin futs. :)

Agreed. What's funny, is I see it even one single pilot aircraft. KA200 for example. Two pilots paid in excess of 60k to sit right or left seat in a single pilot airplane. Company must be nuckin futs. :)

Nah, just aware of the old tenet: Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Every other system has some sort of backup or failsafe. Why not for the crew as well?

Back