ATP: The New 10 Month Program

lapilot

Hello everyone!

I am a bit new to this discussion board but have been a long-time "peeping tom." Anyway, I have been recently researching ATP and am very impressed with all they have to offer. Hopefully anyone currently enrolled in the program (especially the new 10 month Career Pilot Program or ATP instructors) could possibly take the time to answer some of my questions.

1.) Is it possible to devote more time to the program than what the requirements specify? For instance, I know it requires 3 weekends a month and 4 hours for one day during the week, but my availability (although I work full-time) would allow for more time to train. Could I devote more time and finish the program quicker? (Note: I do not have the flexibility to do the 90 day program however)

2.) Obviously one of the main attractions to ATP is the possibility of becoming an instructor with the company and building quality multi-engine time. However, my current situation would not allow me to instruct (if there was a position open) full-time immediately after training. Is it possible to: a.) Go on the waiting list to instruct for an extended period of time ( 1 to 1.5 years) until I was available for full time instructing?, and b.) With the new 10 month program, will this open up the opportunity for instructors to work part-time since that is essentially what students are doing under this program?

3.) (This one is primarily for instructors who have students currently doing this program) I am planning to do my training at RIV. What would a typical weekend training session be like?

4.) I currently hold my private with approximately 300 total hours that includes about 150 hrs in a C-152/172 and 150 hrs in T-37 and T-38 jet aircraft (I was close to USAF UPT graduation a few years ago before deciding that the lifestyle/10 year commitment was not for me). How will my jet twin-engine time translate under this program?

5.) What does the interview process consist of? What things should I complete prior to starting training (i.e., FAA writtens, etc.)?

Thanks to all for taking the time to answer my questions. Hopefully I will be seeing/flying with you all very soon!

Hey there, Iapilot-

I'm currently training the first pair of CPP students.

1) ABSOLUTELY. The more often you train, the less rust you gotta bust. My guys have had one full weekend off since March 15, and we sim every Wednesday for about 4-5 hours with me grilling them on the ground knowledge at the same time. They are slated to take their instrument rides in two weeks, which puts them ahead of schedule. If weather knocks out even one day of training, though- we're put out until MID-JULY because of their schedules and the nature of weekend-only AM availability for checkrides. If they weren't in-and-out of town with their professional lives this month, weather wouldn't be such a huge factor.

2) Don't know. As of right now, there is no such thing as a part-time ATP instructor. You have to go to JAX to put time in at the office answering phones (and STUDYING), while you wait for a location to open up. I've heard of very short stays in the office, but I don't think anybody has ever skipped it completely. As far as in the field goes: I'm teaching CPP students, ACPP students, and doing the occasional add-on when necessary. We are also obligated to proctor those writtens, and they occur any day of the week, late in the evening. I'm flying every single day of the last three weeks of June, at least 4 hours a day with the pre-flight talks and post-flight evaluations; as well as 100-or-so hours of sim dual given between June 9 and July 6. Guess what- I'm not that busy as far as ATP goes. Add-on pilots work 7 days a week, flying 4 to 8 hours each day they work.

3) My first weekend session with the guys amounted to two 10-hour days of ground school and CPT. It then evolved into 6-8 hours of simulator work each day, no flying. Now it is two 2.0 hr 'local' (52 mi XC) IFR flights each day, one apiece with the other backseating, followed by sim work. The days are anywhere from 5 to 10 hours long.

4) Your jet training will clearly help you absorb the information. Here in Dallas we get a lot of guys from Hondo getting their ATP, and the Tweet IPs are always top knotch fellas.

5) The interview is formally informal. It is relaxed, but standardized. You'll take a small written exam, followed by some oral on your expected level of knowlege (airspace, systems of your A/C, etc), a Q&A about ATP and what they expect of students and instructors, and a sim session.

GET YOUR WRITTENS OUT OF THE WAY! It will certainly help

This is not an easy course. I want to get these two guys out the door and into the real world ASAP, flying their XCs, which demands every spare hour of their time (THEIR time, away from family and friends).

Good luck-

PM me if you have any further questions.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm flying every single day of the last three weeks of June, at least 4 hours a day with the pre-flight talks and post-flight evaluations; as well as 100-or-so hours of sim dual given between June 9 and July 6. Guess what- I'm not that busy as far as ATP goes. Add-on pilots work 7 days a week, flying 4 to 8 hours each day they work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, sounds like ATP really has their ducks in a row. I'd kill to be getting that kind of hours. I'm going there for my MEI in a couple of months...really looking forward to it!

Sig,

I am very interested in visiting ATP. I realize the Bowling Green site does not offer the Career programs but is it representative of ATP facilities/programs?

Inasmuch that BWG has a plane, an instructor, and a CATS testing facility, yup.

The FBO that we're in there is absolutely gorgeous. The airport is nice, with good approaches. FedEX Caravans were lined up ready to go when I landed there at about 2300, so there is some scheduled activity there.

BWG doesn't seem to be an extremely busy location, though. It's been a long time since I was in the office, and about a year since I flew in there, so for all I know the instructor is busy as hell.

A couple of additional, related questions:

1. I noticed that the 10-month program does not include the CFI ratings, only the Commercial/Multi/Instrument. Given that ATP seems to be hiring only graduates of the 90-day program (who have all their CFI ratings when they finish), would there even have a chance for the grads of the 10-month program to be considered as instructors for ATP, after they do the two-week full CFI program?

2. Does ATP plan to open any new locations soon? I'd be very interested in the program but the nearest ATP location to me right now is 125 miles away...

3. Would the training be any different for students who already have a couple of the ratings (say, the instrument and/or the commercial single-engine) or does every student have the same set cirriculum?

125 miles away? That's pretty convenient if you ask me; most people are much farther.

I'm 6 hours from the nearest location.. Not gonna make it as easy to take the writtens early..

Harlock,

In response to your question #1, I spoke with someone from ATP recently and asked him the same thing. If you finish the 10 month CPP program and do the CFI/MEI/CFII add-on, you'll be just as strong a candidate, if not stronger, than those who finished the 90-day program, as you will have the same training.

The reason they haven't hired anyone from the 10-month program is because it is such a new program, there are very few, if any, graduates of it.

Hope this helps.

Earl

You're welcome.

If another question pops up, grab a phone and call the 800 number and ask the admin instructors. If it is specifically related to the 10-mo. program, PM me.

My schedule ended up being slightly less busy than I wrote up there, but only by about 10 hours... This is the kind of CFI work I've been dreaming about. I love it.

I see the 10 month program is offered at SAC. Anyone know about the SAC program? How is the location? Also, will you always be partnered up with someone in the same program?

Back