ATP Price Reduction

Flight81

OO BRO FO
The career course cost has dropped to $57k, down from almost $60k. They took out the RJ course at the end as part of the program. They will offer it to program grads at a discounted rate.

It's is funny how they dropped the price by 3 b/c they got rid of a program that supposedly cost 6 or 7. Not too sure if I understand their math! But, 3 is better than 0!

I think that's a good move. I'm sure right now most people would much rather have the discount than an RJ course. Especially if they can get the RJ course for free by instructing there for 90 days anyway.

supply, and demand. im sure enrollment is down with the current state of the industry. they are just trying to get people in the door.

Here's the problem with their model - nearly all of your time is multi. That's fine and well, but if the market only requires 50-100 hours of multi, then any multi over that is a financial waste. They could shift more of the flying to single engine and reduce their costs to more reasonable levels.

Here's the problem with their model - nearly all of your time is multi. That's fine and well, but if the market only requires 50-100 hours of multi, then any multi over that is a financial waste. They could shift more of the flying to single engine and reduce their costs to more reasonable levels.

Untrue, I think. Those are mins, and like any mins its better to be on the high side, especially now that the boom has gone bust.

Consider instructing to 135 freight mins. Multi time is less of a factor. The regionals are a crap shoot at the moment (in spite of ATP's marketing promises). Places like Amflight don't need high multi time but you need to lose the SJS to consider it.

Honestly, stay away from ATP. Get up to your CFI at a local FBO, get a job as a CFI, work up to 135 mins, and get your multi at a 135 freight job. No need to pay for it a la ATP. No need to "get the seniority number fast" a la ATP, either. Keep your debt as low as possible and take your time.

after looking at this, atp really hasnt done anything. they've taken off $2500 for a course that costs $7000. then they re-offer the course for the savings which gets you right back to the original cost. pretty funny actually.

after looking at this, atp really hasnt done anything. they've taken off $2500 for a course that costs $7000. then they re-offer the course for the savings which gets you right back to the original cost. pretty funny actually.

I see it differently. They reduce the cost by that much because that is what they would charge someone who went through their program. If you wanted to go to ATP for JUST the RJ course than yeah it's more $$$.

They took it out because they know there is no need for it immediatley at this point in time. They are planning for the students to instruct for awhile instead of going straight to an airline. So they are not going to charge you for something that you are now going to get for free after instructing with them.

DE727UPS-

Did you have a bad experience with ATP? If so, please share otherwise don't discourage us rookies that are inbound to ATP within the next month or so. Everyone is different but in the end, we all want the same thing.

Consider instructing to 135 freight mins. Multi time is less of a factor. The regionals are a crap shoot at the moment (in spite of ATP's marketing promises). Places like Amflight don't need high multi time but you need to lose the SJS to consider it.

Honestly, stay away from ATP. Get up to your CFI at a local FBO, get a job as a CFI, work up to 135 mins, and get your multi at a 135 freight job. No need to pay for it a la ATP. No need to "get the seniority number fast" a la ATP, either. Keep your debt as low as possible and take your time.

Actually one of the instructors at my school recently got offered a job as a training captain at Ameriflight. The one thing the person he was talking to was impressed by was his 500+ hours of multi engine time. She asked him how he got some much multi time, he said he was an instructor at ATP.

Theres no where else you can go to build that much multi time, and I dont care who you are multi engine time is extremely important.

6 months ago I would have disagreed with 727UPS, but after the last three months at ATP, I agree completely with him. Stay away from the machine called ATP. The only place it will get you faster to is...... debt! Too much money for too little instruction, and old airplanes!

Theres no where else you can go to build that much multi time, and I dont care who you are multi engine time is extremely important.

Silly me. I built up 99% of my multi time, around 300, and nearly all turbine, while getting while getting PAID a very good day rate. I'm going to add another 20-30 hours over the next week and a half and make a g doing so. stupid me. should have just gone to ATP. Its the only way to build that much multi time.

"Did you have a bad experience with ATP?"

Well, yes I did. Would you like to hear the story? It's not pretty. I've told it before here and it's not really relevent to the thread. In the end, I'm not a fan of going from PPL to CFIMEI in 90 days. Sorry if anyone finds that discouraging, but that's how I see it. I'm not a fan of ATP's marketing that keeps making it look like airline jobs can be yours if you just sign on the dotted line. Do they have a link to JC at the ATP website yet?

Other than that, it's just a flight school. The keys to success are you, (work hard, prepare), your CFI, (hope you get a good one), and an airplane, (good balance between cost/quality). Whether it's ATP or a small FBO, that's what you want to look for.

Well, yes I did. Would you like to hear the story? It's not pretty. I've told it before here and it's not really relevent to the thread. In the end, I'm not a fan of going from PPL to CFIMEI in 90 days. Sorry if anyone finds that discouraging, but that's how I see it. I'm not a fan of ATP's marketing that keeps making it look like airline jobs can be yours if you just sign on the dotted line. Do they have a link to JC at the ATP website yet?

Other than that, it's just a flight school. The keys to success are you, (work hard, prepare), your CFI, (hope you get a good one), and an airplane, (good balance between cost/quality). Whether it's ATP or a small FBO, that's what you want to look for.

I really would like to hear your story. From what ive gathered youve only actually been to the school for one rating? Correct me if im wrong. PM me please if you dont want to post it here.

I honestly feel really bad for someone who may be going to ATP and then reads your posts, ive had the complete opposite experiance of what you and some others are describing. Your not getting your ratings in less hours than anyone else, your getting them quicker simply because you fly more often and spend more time at the school. Thats it. Theres no less experiance gained.

Sorry that you had a bad experience UPS. I haven't heard your story and no offense, I'd rather not since I haven't even steped foot in the location yet. Hopefully I won't have a bad one, if I do I will gladly share and start a " do not attend ATP" thread part 2! Life can throw many twists and turns but look at you now...You fly for UPS! Doesn't look like you have had it too bad:)

I disagree completely with Don about ATP. Is it a crap shoot as to whether you get a great instructor or not? Yes, but that's true at the local FBO also. What you get with ATP that you don't get elsewhere is the structured program and the quick completion that allows you to start making money flying airplanes instead of paying money to fly them. In my opinion, going through the program and then instructing while the industry recovers is a pretty good plan. They pay the instructors decently, and the CRJ course will be available for free after you instruct for a little bit anyway. I still believe that a structured program is far superior to a local FBO.

I was told the reason for building the jet course into the ACPP was because students were going to regionals with 350 hours then subsequently washing out of training. This was reflecting poorly on ATP so they made it apart of the deal. And I'm guessing it helped pay for those shiny simulators they ordered too. ;)

I had a good experience with ATP. Not so sure I would recommend dropping that kind of coin on flight training if your plan is to hit a regional. I lucked out, got a couple of great instructors and learned quite a bit.

Just ask yourself if 100 hours of multi and a wet CPL is even going to matter when minimums are likely to be going up, and hiring is over. Either get that CFI or have a good plan.

If you reject the idea of an accelerated program just because it is accelerated you reveal how tunnel visioned you are about your own point of view. Just because you have a yoda avatar doesn't mean you are a jedi master when it comes to flight training. To throw ATP under the bus across the board it crazy talk. Do you deny that you can get good instruction at a bad school or bad instruction at a good school? Can you categorically say that every ATP CFI is worse than an FBO?

You "haters" have slammed ATP for the Jet Course (which did significantly help new 121 hires stay hired) and now you are slamming them for removing it? Sounds like you hate ATP just because.

Think about this though...there are plenty of people laid off right now (we all hate to see that) but there are a lot of people that kept their jobs because they WERE higher in seniority because they DID "get their first." Wow. It did work.

Back