ATP or Aviator College

Not saying your wrong but your statement, "Hiring a pilot with a 4-year degree in Commercial aviation from a Quality part 141 flight school VS someone with no college degree or "non-aviation" degree who blew through their ratings in a matter of months has a huge influence in the eyes of hiring representatives" makes little to no sense. When you complete your licenses and ratings at UND YOU WILL BE IN THE SAME POSITION AS ANYONE ELSE with whatever hours you have. Depending on the experiences you accumulate after receiving your commercial and Flight Instructor licenses will determine the influence you have on hiring representatives, or more important your captain. A UND degree does not define you as an aviator, you define yourself as an aviator.

Good luck to you, and I sincerely hope you are not disappointed when you realize the regional airlines are not the holy grail.
I think the truth is somewhere in between the two.

Here's a post by @Derg to cross reference:

It's not a numbers game. Don't get caught up in the algebra of who gets a call and who doesn't. Airlines look for "whole package" candidates and some airlines, for better or for worse, prefer "known quantity candidates" -- not numbers, but prefer certain "pedigrees" if you will.

Large university flight programs (not that I agree, but that's what I've been told by the folks that decide who comes in and who doesn't), military applicants and such.

Remember, it's a "preference".

Plus, volunteer work and other things that set you apart as an applicant is what they're looking for as all 10,000-plus applications meet all of the minimum requirements and 100% of them say "I'm a pilot, here's some numbers and stuff I flew". Get some stuff on your resume and application that reflect that you're not just a fleshy autopilot, but an actual blood, bone and guts human being.

Note the part about "large university flight programs" being, in some cases, a preferred pedigree.

Is it a be-all, end-all? No. Does it make a difference? Possibly.

I think the truth is somewhere in between the two.

Here's a post by @Derg to cross reference:

Note the part about "large university flight programs" being, in some cases, a preferred pedigree.

Is it a be-all, end-all? No. Does it make a difference? Possibly.

Well stated, and thanks for providing the additional quote.

Well stated, and thanks for providing the additional quote.

Remember, there's what I believe - "a rating is a rating" and what I've been told "We prefer programs like UND, ERAU, Etc , large, organized flight training organizations and collegiate aviation" from managers of pilot selection.

So it matters if it matters to the employer you want to work for.

Not saying your wrong but your statement, "Hiring a pilot with a 4-year degree in Commercial aviation from a Quality part 141 flight school VS someone with no college degree or "non-aviation" degree who blew through their ratings in a matter of months has a huge influence in the eyes of hiring representatives" makes little to no sense. When you complete your licenses and ratings at UND YOU WILL BE IN THE SAME POSITION AS ANYONE ELSE with whatever hours you have. Depending on the experiences you accumulate after receiving your commercial and Flight Instructor licenses will determine the influence you have on hiring representatives, or more important your captain. A UND degree does not define you as an aviator, you define yourself as an aviator.

Good luck to you, and I sincerely hope you are not disappointed when you realize the regional airlines are not the holy grail.

Thank you, they are not holy grail, but I sure as hell cant wait to get there! And YES you are 100% Correct! My UND degree does not define my abilities, I do. And I owe 100% thanks to the UND Program, staff, Instructors & procedures that have molded (and are still molding) me into the pilot I am today. I am not saying graduating from UND makes you God, or any 4-year institution... I am simply saying there is a reputation they uphold very well and I feel a 4-year institution is in many ways a great opportunity to get the true Master education you need to be safe in the skies. Again, not offense to anyone! Simply what I found when making my decision and things i've noticed since i've been here. Everyone's situation is different.

I would love to do mom/pop, but Atp and Aviator offer financing and thats the difference basically!

I got my private single and multi at ATP.

Then I got my instrument, commercial single/multi at aviator. Plus a time build for 185 mult time.

In my opinion...I liked aviator waaaaayyyy more!!!

I noticed there are a lot of negative reviews on here from old aviator students. My experience was very good so maybe times have changed??? Anyway. You can PM if you want insight into both schools.

I went through ATP's Career Pilot program this past winter, the program works great if you are willing to put the time and effort in. I would not hesitate to recommend it at all especially if you already have your private pilot certificate. I passed on the job instructing for ATP and now work at small flight school near my hometown so I can go to college and get a non aviation degree ( thanks post 9/11 GI bill) to give me something to fall back on besides being a pilot or helicopter mechanic. It was a good experience. By the way my instructor at ATP now flys an RJ so don't believe the noise about ATP guys not getting hired.
Eric is that you?

Yep, figured I had to say something positive about a program that has benefited me. Not on here much between school, being a CFI, and family I'm busy.

Back