ATP loophole for graduates from accredited flight program

Clocks

The Subcommittee on Aviation under the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee will be hearing testimony tomorrow at 10:00 am. They will be streaming it live. Just click on the Yellow Box with Blue writing that says "View Web Cast" located on the left side of the screen. The web site is Transportation and Infrastructure Committee (http://transportation.house.gov/).

The committee will be hearing testimony about the FAAs "Call to Action on Airline Safety and Pilot Training." H.R. 3371 (the "ATP required" to fly 121 bill) will come up as representatives from the University Aviation Association (UAA) and Aviation Accreditation Board International (AABI) will be giving testimony. The theme "Quality over Quantity" is what they are pushing.

The UAA and AABI are in favor of H.R. 3371 except for the part requiring an ATP to fly 121. They would like the bill to be amended which would allow pilots that graduate from an accredited AABI flight program be eligible for hire into a 121 operator.

Listed below is what they would like to see put into the legislation:

Insert on page 33, line 11:

(3) ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY GRADUATES.—

(A) FLIGHT CREW MEMBERS FROM ACCREDITED UNIVERSITIES.—Not withstanding paragraph (2), flight crew members from accredited universities shall be permitted to—

(i) complete the flight time requirements of the airline transport pilot certificate required in subparagraph (B) during air carrier employment; and

(ii) achieve the 23 years-old age limit during air carrier employment.

(B) AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT CERTIFICATE PRACTICAL EXAMINATION REQUIREMENT.--After having fulfilled the flight time requirements of the airline transport pilot license, flight crew members from accredited universities shall undergo and pass the airline transport pilot certificate practical examination administered by appropriately designated FAA personnel.

(C) FLIGHT CREW MEMBERS FROM ACCREDITED UNIVERSITIES DEFINED.—In this subsection, the term “flight crew members from accredited universities” means flight crew members who have--

(i) completed the commercial pilot certificate and multi-engine pilot ratings, the instrument rating, and the certified flight instructor certificate;

(ii) completed the airline transport pilot certificate knowledge requirements including the airline transport pilot certificate written examination; and

(iii) graduated from a university or college flight education program accredited by the Aviation Accreditation Board International or graduated from a university or college flight education program that meets the Aviation Accreditation Board International flight education criteria. The Aviation Accreditation Board International and University Aviation Association shall jointly determine the means by which compliance with Aviation Accreditation Board International flight education criteria is demonstrated.

This web site is a PDF version of the Bill H.R. 3371 as it stands now http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h3371ih.txt.pdf. This website is the Government Printing Office (GPO).
Found this on every forum but this one :)

No information about this exists on the House.gov page linked to, so I'm not entirely confident this is real.

Re: ATP loophole for graduates from accredited flight progra

So a kid who doesn't go to Riddle with 1300 hours in Falcon 20s, and Learjets flying freight at night is less qualified than a kid who flew a G1000 Cessna 172 Whiz Bang, and has 190 hours TT to fly a Dash 8-100?

I really hope this is a joke.

Time spent in a classroom does not make up for time in an aircraft.

Jesus Christ...what's the point?

Lobbying at its best. This is pretty ridiculous.

Lobbying at its best. This is pretty ridiculous.

There ya go. Lots of people stand to lose a LOT of money if people can't go zero to hero anymore. Even the mighty Riddle pushes internships and "relationships" with airlines in order to pull people in. If you pay that much money, do the internship and still need to timebuild in order to get hired, Riddle (and other schools similar to them) lose a lot of their recruiting ammo.

I thought it's interesting (real or not) that you're required to get the CFI ratings.

As a current Riddle student, and a flight one at that, this sickens me. I made the decision to fly off campus, for costs. I can assure you, just as good, if not better in many cases, occurs outside of the school. So, because I didn't pay to have some 21 year old wizbang instructor teach me stuff he is reading out of a book, but rather an older, more experienced flight instructor, that I'm somehow less qualified to fly an airplane?

Unreal

In case no one else has realized, the UAA is a completely irrational, clueless organization. They buy into their own propaganda.

Now there really will be a "riddle" advantage. Ha Ha.

The special kids keep getting special treatment. . .

mikecweb, contrary to popular belief, is not a special kid though.

They do this and I'm boycotting the aviation industry in the US and moving to a remote island in the atlantic where I can avoid the influx of 22 year old kids who just graduated from an aviation college with a degree in "corporate pilot" or some crap.... who is with me?

You can be sure that I'll raise a stink here at Riddle, if this thing actually gets down on paper somewhere. I know a bunch of people who, even though they are Riddle pilots, think this is a really dumb idea.

....all they have to do is to re-introduce the "frozen ATP". That will be the measure of "quality"...

[/broken record]

Both the representatives and the other witnesses were/are pretty rough on the Riddle guy. I had to jump on a conference call so I missed 30 minutes of it, but this idea isn't being accepted with open arms.

Jeff Skiles pretty much ripped apart AABI/UAA's argument. It was great.

Remember any decisions that matter will happen behind closed doors with the lobbyists. Being harsh on a witness in public doesn't necessarily relate to the representative's actual opinions.

I'm amazed at the sheer stupidity of some of these representatives. This is worse than shouting fire in a theater. Some of the logic they are using is so full of holes, its not even there. Apparently, total number of hours automatically makes you into an amazing pilot.

Who is mr loftus? He was sitting next to Babbit.

Remember any decisions that matter will happen behind closed doors with the lobbyists. Being harsh on a witness in public doesn't necessarily relate to the representative's actual opinions.

This is true, however, I don't know if you saw it, but it was a bit of a bloodbath for AABI. The "concrete studies" they were touting were exposed as in-house and incomplete. If they manage to get an exception for UAA schools built into the HR, it will simply get ripped apart in Senate.

Back