ATP JAX

Eclipse and Kleigh, Rich put on a great act as if he really was trying to help me out in the situation I created. I thought he was a really good guy, and its true, he even gave me a DA40 POH to keep. Kleigh, I was brainwashed like you are now. As I was leaving JAX, I gave Jim a call. Jim told me the truth, the honest truth, and he told me what Rich told him about myself. What Rich told Jim was the complete opposite of what he told me. I do not want to go into details about this because it is simply none of your business or anyone elses. Rich simply lied to my face.
And Eclipe, JAX standardization wasn't that long ago, who are you?

In a way I'm glad I've heard a lot of these comments about ATP. If they are true I'll know then what to look out for, try to ignore those distractions and keep my eye on the prize.

It doesn't surprise me that it's always new members here that come to the defense of ATP . . I went, I got what I needed from the place after I spent my money, and I would highly suggest that someone starting from scratch go a different route. Maybe someplace where it's not OK to have the chief pilot slap you in the head for making a simple mistake. There are many, many other reasons why I wish I had never put a dime into that school, but once I was in too deep, I made it work out to my advantage in the long haul.

Hey I'm a new member and I went through ATP from PPL to CFI and I don't always defend ATP. I tell my experiences and the truth about the type of instruction that I got there. I am not however an ATP instructor. I went to a local flight school to instruct.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many "new" pilots today have such a sense of entitlement and are absolute whiners. If you came to ATP expecting perfection it was undoubtedly your first foray into the real world. If the pilot you are referring to was assaulted he should have filed charges. He didnt. We all regret the emotional trauma it has caused you. May you find peace.

There are things I would change about the school, but many things I think were spot on. It is what you make it. Give me an opportunity and I will come out on top. It is why I chose aviation and dont whine when I realize people around me are not perfect. ATP is that- an opportunity in a great aircraft to get good experience. Good luck.:rawk:

It never ceases to amaze me how so many "new" pilots today have such a sense of entitlement and are absolute whiners. If you came to ATP expecting perfection it was undoubtedly your first foray into the real world. If the pilot you are referring to was assaulted he should have filed charges. He didnt. We all regret the emotional trauma it has caused you. May you find peace.
I never had, and do not have a sense of entitlement, and I do have peace young man . . . I am merely relating an experience I had. I'm not whining about it, just making sure it's out there. It is spot on accurate. I never expected perfection, and I wasn't disappointed. You, dear sir, have absolutely no situational awareness if you think this was my first foray into the " real world" . . .oh and by the way I have continued to excel and have achieved the goals I set for myself. (so far)

> It seems to me that you are defending the actions of a flight instructor popping one of his students in the forehead . . . are you for real, or just another fake that is a shill for ATP? How would you know that he didn't file charges, unless you were there?

Eclipse, you'd have a far stronger argument if you did not hide behind your screen name and well, actually instructed at JAX, your instructing at Richmond, so outside of 2 weeks spent during standardization at ATP in JAX, wheres your experience to support your position? Maybe I am an idiot for choosing a screen name that gives away who I am, but I do have big balls.

I did my program at Stuart and it was great. I also had many days spent flying to JAX. Our goal was to get in and get out as fast as possible, because the attitudes were so arrogant. It was a bunch of pretty boys (they would agree if you asked them :laff:) who indeed thought they were God's Gift.
Of course, they also had never had a real job and were at that school on their parents dime, so I understand the immaturity. But being prior military, and having a full time job before deciding to fly, it was all I could do not to laugh at the super instructors in JAX.
For the record, the 2 year CFI was real cool who we worked with during the flight intructor portion of the school.

ATL is a way better location, or at least it is way nicer. When I was there, Ted Turner's jet landed right after me...and if he lands there it cant be that bad of a place. :)

I was in the back seat and witnessed him slapping my flight partner in the forehead, while he was flying . . .

And I thought ATP has a definate rule of "nobody in the back seat period" because of insurance regs. This was due to a crash with more than 2 pilots (maybe student pilots) in the Seminole.

That was the rule when I was there.

Eclipse, you'd have a far stronger argument if you did not hide behind your screen name and well, actually instructed at JAX, your instructing at Richmond, so outside of 2 weeks spent during standardization at ATP in JAX, wheres your experience to support your position? Maybe I am an idiot for choosing a screen name that gives away who I am, but I do have big balls.

Bill, you never instructed at JAX.

And I thought ATP has a definate rule of "nobody in the back seat period" because of insurance regs. This was due to a crash with more than 2 pilots (maybe student pilots) in the Seminole.

Rumor had it that the plane landed gear up with a student, instructor, instructor's dog, and instructor's girlfriend on board...

It became a definite rule while I was involved with ATP.

Rumor had it that the plane landed gear up with a student, instructor, instructor's dog, and instructor's girlfriend on board...
Rumors are just that . . . this was an unfortunate accident.:mad:

look folks, I'm not here to pull your chain or lie to you. I merely described an event I personally witnessed.
I even confronted him about his actions during the flight, and by the end of the conversation it was clear that he would not pull any kind of crap like that with me.
That is about it . . . I will be glad to tell the story in Vegas.:D

I did my program at Stuart and it was great.

SUA was the bomb diggity. I did all my training there (minus the PPL I already had when I entered the program, and had a great time.

That rule could be waived by management (at least it could a few years ago) and it was pretty routine for people to backseat the Rich Ride. I also flew a few instructional flights out in PHX with backseaters, mostly if we had to ferry an aircraft to do a checkride somewhere.

Unfortunately they landed a lot worse than gear up.
http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/GenPDF.asp?id=ATL03FA104&rpt=fi

As far as I know, that's been ATP's only fatal accident, which is pretty good considering how inexperienced most people are flying around in their planes and some of the conditions people manage to get themselves into.

Vegas Baby...

;)

You going to make it this year? You're in the top 10 list of JC people I want to meet.

His name was Michael (last name started with a D)...it was a couple years ago, but he was very professional (and nice). Of course, he came from somewhere else because 2 year CFI's are like Unicorns, even at ATP.

:yeahthat:

I worked at JAX. I liked it, and would highly recommend anybody instruct there.

Protip: Doesn't matter what job you have, there is always crap to deal with.
For the record, Kfour was my flight partner at ATP. Kfour, you were a perfect fit for JAX, I am happy it worked out for you.
I never flight instructed at JAX, but I spent well over a month, probably 1.5 months accumulated time living in JAX between standardization and CFI school. I taught ground to the privates on and off.
There are some great guys at ATP in JAX. Mat Blythe, Chad Brooks who is no longer there, and Ben Gabriel who I had the Citation ride with.
Ben is simply awsome.
I've said this before, JAX is filled with Type A personalities. Kfour has a major Type A personality which he won't dispute, and he liked Jax.
Well two days after leaving JAX, I got a CFI job in Miami, haven't looked back, just FORWARD to my upcoming trip to Colombia!!! Colombiana Chicka's jajaja. You can have JAX.

Back