ATP Interview

Skeeter

Ok. I have read every post on here regarding the interview for ATP, however I was wondering if anyone can provide a little more interview "gouge" for ATP. I think I have all of the PPL knowledge stuff down but I would like to feel 100% sure I can answer any questions written or oral. Practical seems to come a little more natual to me than the written stuff.

What are some examples of questions on the written?
Are there calculation problems?
Reading instrument questions?
What class is this if you are at 5000AGL over this city on this chart type?
If the CG is forward, blah blah.

I will be interviewing in Sac in the next couple of months.

Thanks.

I went to an interview in Manasas about a year ago. It wasn't an interview per se, more of an opportunity for me to interview them.

There was a multiple choice test, maybe 20 - 25 questions, more or less PP written test questions:

What documents are you required to carry with you on a flight?

a) Pilot certificate, current medical, Outdoor Life magazine
b) pilot certificate, logbook, engine logs
c)

There were 3 or 4 questions on multiengine stuff but you are not expected/required to answer them correctly.

That was followed by a sim ride where you go through the Seminole checklist and do some straight & level, turns, etc. to check your ability to hold a course and altitude.

No verbal questions there. That comes later in the phone interview and I think the questions were listed further back in this forum. All I can remember from the phone number were ASI markings.

The interview at the location is conducted by one of the instructors -- these are all guys who have gone through the program, so they can really give the some great insight about it. After filling out some paperwork (total time, education, type of A/C flown, etc.) and grilling the guy/girl with all of your questions about ATP, you will have to take a 50 question multiple choice test. If you haven't gone over your PPL stuff lately, I would suggest you brush up before going there. It includes aerodynamics, airport markings, wake turbulence, aircraft systems, pattern work, uncontrolled operations, comms, etc.

Once you've taken the test, the instructor will put you in the sim and have you do some basic flying -- take-off, turns to headings, climbs, descents, etc. He'll then explain the engine out procedures on the Seminole and give you a few chances to try it. They are not looking for you to perfectly nail the checklist and recover from the lost engine -- they just want to see that you have a basic pilot's knowledge and are teachable.

If your interview goes well, you will be recommended to the program and a phone interview with Jim Koszarski (VP of ATP) will be set up. After asking about your background (where you got your private, what A/C you flew, your education) Jim will cover some of the same PPL stuff, as well as some basic multi-engine critical engine factors -- if you read about and can describe P-Factor, accelerated slipstream, spiraling slipstream and torque you'll do great.

If all goes well on the phone with Jim, he'll offer you a slot -- it's then up to you to tell him when and where you want to start. If there's an opening, he gets $1000 from your credit card and you're all set. If not, you can pick a different date/location.

After going through the program, I really appreciate the fact that ATP isn't just taking money from anyone who wants to go there -- by requiring people to jump through a few hoops, I think they get a much more committed group of pilots.

Socal -

Not a question for me really, but in general... What happens if you *fail* the interview (knowledge test, sim ride, etc.)? Are you barred from applying to ATP in the future, or do you have to wait a certain time period before trying again?

Howdy,

I believe you can apply again in the future, though personally I've never met anyone who's done the interview twice.
The whole process is aimed at making sure you have the required Private Pilot knowledge before starting, so we won't have to catch that slack too, in addition to trying to teach you how to fly twins and instruments and so on.

So if your knowledge is not up to par you could go home and study some more, then try again, I would think.

Though the best thing is of course to know your stuff before your 1st interview. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Regards,
Helge

Back