ATP hiring their own ACP graduates

bluelake

To Socal and anyone else at ATP:

I presume more ACP graduates desire to become ATP instructors than are hired.. considering current realities. If this is so, what is it that ATP is looking for in their instructors? Lets say that a group of candidates are relatively equal in their ACP experience and flying capabilities.. what else is ATP looking for? Level of college? Previous teaching experience? etc.. If I come to ATP I am approaching it not just as a training experience but also as my most probable "first aviation employer", so I would like to know more of what ATP is looking for in their instructor selection.

Any insights are helpful. If not answered here I will call.

Thanks,
Dean

I have no idea what ATP looks for, but if I were to guess, it would be a good attitude and a mature demeanor - to begin with.

I did the program 2 years ago but decided not to instruct for them. Back then there were a few things that would help you get on with them; a college degree, success in the program, checkride pass rate, willing to move and instruct anywhere, background/work experience, etc. The above things might help you, but keep in mind they do hire CFIs without degrees, etc.

Anyways, hope this helps!

I was told from an email from them to consider the ACP program as a "three month interview." /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif:)

Hey Bluelake, tell your pals at ATP to buy some ad space! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Doug,

When Socal posted his $100/hr multi ada few weeks ago, I and others responded with some light-medium jabs.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

You didnt think my post was a setup did you? I certainly have no affiliation with ATP.. just a working stiff with a PPL at this point.. and thought that this was a question others interested in ATP might have..

BTW - this has been a very useful site, thanks.
DeanR

Bluelake-

Nah, my comment wasn't directed like that at all! I was just being fecetious!

I'm just kind of peeved. I constantly get email from some flight schools that appreciate the forums, but haven't stepped up to the plate and purchased ad space to help cover the costs of the website!

It wasn't a jab at ya! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

hold the forums hostage, send the flight schools a bill, to unlock the forums about their schools. grin

Yeah, in fact someone from a flight school sent me a fabulous letter thanking them for their school-specific forum. I didn't think a lot of it until I broke out the calculator and did the math only to realize that I need to start pimping them for some ads.

This web thing gets expensive after a while! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I agree. I will admit, this forum is a great way to find out the ins-and-outs of a particular school. Good schools seem to (on balance) get good forum time, and bad schools, well you get the idea.

In the case of ATP, their website is not too bad, but there are a bunch of links that are dead ends.. so I turn to the board for answers. That means Doug is footin the bill for the information flow and possible development of a relationship between ATP and a potential ACP candidate like myself, via those ATP folks who are kindly posting for us public.

ATP seems good at responding to folks posts on the forum (Socal's free time or not, I dont know at this moment)...

I think the flight schools shold do advertising space on the site. If they are a good school, lots of visitors will click the mouse at the right place on the screen. If not, well you know...

I would have responded sooner, but I just got back from another cross country trip in the Semniole. ATP flew me commercially to LA to pick up a Seminole and a student and then fly back here to JAX. I logged 21 multi/cross country/as instructor hours and had a great time while doing it. That makes two times that I have seen from Pacific to Atlantic in the Seminole -- once as a student and now as a paid instructor!

I also just heard that I am heading back home to instruct in Riverside starting next week. I can't wait to see my family and to start instructing full time in the Seminole!

To answer your question about what ATP looks for in their instructors, I would say it is a combination of things:

Maturity
Intelligence
Flying skills
People skills
A good work ethic
Background

The person who said that your time as a student in the ACPP is the first part of your "interview" was right on the money. If you work hard and do well in the ACP program, get along with the people you fly with (and if not handle it in a mature fashion!), and follow it up with an intelligent, well composed cover letter and resume, you stand a good chance of becoming a multi-engine instructor for ATP.

I hope this helps...

Back