ATP cross country time.

wolf79

I would like to know how people are logging their cross country time towards their ATP. The reg's say flying to a point more then 50nm for ATP. I am just concern about sitting in an interview and having them question my time if I didn't actually land at another airport.

Well the regs for cross-country flight time applied to an ATP don't state you need to land at another airport, just least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure.

Sounds like you are asking a bookkeeping question. The idea is not only to note them in the remarks but to find and total them easily. If you think this is something you will need, do what people do to separate point-to-point cross countries from >50 NM ones - a separate column.

(Of course, electronic logbook make the whole thing easy)

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I worded it correctly. What I am wondering is how many people use the flying the 50nm and not landing, verses landing at an airport.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I worded it correctly. What I am wondering is how many people use the flying the 50nm and not landing, verses landing at an airport.
Agree with Nat. If you need it, you use it.

Keep in mind that this rule was originally a well-deserved tip of the hat to military pilots who may go hundreds of miles on a mission without landing there. It's also useful for folks who do such things a pipeline patrol that involves returning to base rather than landing elsewhere. I have a few flights where I did a tour with friends or went to a destination I ended up not landing at for one reason or another (one was a gear problem) but, overall, unless we have "destination airport phobia" it probably less useful overall for the typical civilian pilot.

Just make a note of it in the remarks column. "Flew A -> B -> A, did not land at B. More than 50NM from A."

Same applies to landings that are not at a designated airport. Bush & seaplane flying doesn't always land at an ICAO designated airport. Therefore a note in the remarks column "Departed Lake JetCareers, landed Lake Titicaca."

I flew out to a fix or waypoint 50NM or greater and logged it that way without a landing. Of course what was when I was trying to hit the 500 mark. The new 200 XC req should be a cakewalk for anyone having to build to 1000 or 1500.

Keep in mind that this rule was originally a well-deserved tip of the hat to military pilots who may go hundreds of miles on a mission without landing there.
This.

It's widely called the "fighter/tanker rule", since those crews a lot of what is called "flagpole flying" (e.g., out to the training area and back) and not much true cross-country flying.

Excel spreadsheets are nice, I have one that serves as my E-logbook. I use 3 columns for XC, "Airport to Airport", "Point over 50nm", "Airport over 50nm".

And then if I didn't land at a spot over 50nm but went over 50nm I put parenthesis around the waypoint in the route section and only log the time in "Point over 50nm" column.

Back