Atlas Air dispatch

Yurie158

So I secured an interview with Atlas Air in Kentucky, was wondering if anyone could provide information about dispatching there.

Assuming I got an offer, is the dispatch pay sheet accurate for Atlas?

How is working for them?

And how is the social scene out there? I know cincinatti is close by but I don't know anyone there. Looking to make the best of my situation

Thank you!

Pay on the sheet is accurate however our contract is open this year, so there will be negotiations. It’s a great place to work, in my opinion. People are great and down-to-earth. Like every other place, it has its own issues, but all-in-all for the experience you get with heavy jets, ETOPS, and redispatching, I’d say it’s worth while unless you can secure a better opportunity at a major airline right away. It’s a good airline purgatory away from regional work.

Social scene is what you make of it. There’s always something to do in the Cincinnati area.

Pay on the sheet is accurate however our contract is open this year, so there will be negotiations. It’s a great place to work, in my opinion. People are great and down-to-earth. Like every other place, it has its own issues, but all-in-all for the experience you get with heavy jets, ETOPS, and redispatching, I’d say it’s worth while unless you can secure a better opportunity at a major airline right away. It’s a good airline purgatory away from regional work.

Social scene is what you make of it. There’s always something to do in the Cincinnati area.
Thank you for your response, yea I'm working at a low paying 121 supplemental and do not like working here any longer and not a fan of the area either. I think atlas is definitely a good choice for me as I feel like I can grow as a dispatcher working with the larger aircraft. ETOPS experience is always a plus! Praying I can secure the position

Do you guys work all fleets, and both PAC and GTI flights? Do you get to pick your flights? It just seems like if I am doing AMC/DOD or Polar flying the DX is more proactive, than when I am doing DHL/Amazon flying. This is on the #lighttwin

Having put in an app once upon a time ago for PAC, I'll let you know they're separate. As for the GTi side, I do not know. I have a personal acquaintance there, and they've really found their new home.

And, from personal experiences in OH/KY, calling it home means something VERY significant.

Do you guys work all fleets, and both PAC and GTI flights? Do you get to pick your flights? It just seems like if I am doing AMC/DOD or Polar flying the DX is more proactive, than when I am doing DHL/Amazon flying. This is on the #lighttwin
Polar, Atlas, and Southern fleets are all separate as of now however Southern and Atlas will be merging within the next year. Polar and Atlas are on two separate certificates and they want to merge the two airlines, but they are running into issues with that. We are all cross-trained, but we are currently not permitted to work each other's fleets.

So as of now:
Polar has 747-400s, 747-8s, and 767-300s. They work mostly DHL.
Atlas has the previously mentioned + 767-200s, and 747-LCFs. They work a multitude of things including passenger flying, AMC, DHL, Amazon, Quantas, FedEx/UPS recovery, and much more.
Southern has 747s, 777s, and 737s. They mostly work DHL and Amazon.

I believe we're hiring on all 3 airlines and I'm sure the mainlines will clean us out by the end of the year again. So keep applying and if you know anyone in the dispatch department have them put in a good word.

All of the area is considered Northern KY/Cincinnati. It really depends how far you want to drive as to what your social life and housing prices will look like.

Thank you for your response, yea I'm working at a low paying 121 supplemental and do not like working here any longer and not a fan of the area either. I think atlas is definitely a good choice for me as I feel like I can grow as a dispatcher working with the larger aircraft. ETOPS experience is always a plus! Praying I can secure the position
Best of luck!

Polar, Atlas, and Southern fleets are all separate as of now however Southern and Atlas will be merging within the next year. Polar and Atlas are on two separate certificates and they want to merge the two airlines, but they are running into issues with that. We are all cross-trained, but we are currently not permitted to work each other's fleets.

So as of now:
Polar has 747-400s, 747-8s, and 767-300s. They work mostly DHL.
Atlas has the previously mentioned + 767-200s, and 747-LCFs. They work a multitude of things including passenger flying, AMC, DHL, Amazon, Quantas, FedEx/UPS recovery, and much more.
Southern has 747s, 777s, and 737s. They mostly work DHL and Amazon.

I believe we're hiring on all 3 airlines and I'm sure the mainlines will clean us out by the end of the year again. So keep applying and if you know anyone in the dispatch department have them put in a good word.

All of the area is considered Northern KY/Cincinnati. It really depends how far you want to drive as to what your social life and housing prices will look like.
Thanks but I think you missed the part about I fly for Atlas, 6.5 years a 767 CA. Also Southern hasn't had 747s in a good number of years.

Thanks but I think you missed the part about I fly for Atlas, 6.5 years a 767 CA. Also Southern hasn't had 747s in a good number of years.
Ah yeah, missed that part. Sorry I did not read that correctly. To answer your question - no we don’t pick our flights. The shift lead picks them. And you might notice that Polar and/or your AMC flying on the Atlas side is more attentive because Polar has less aircraft to flight follow and they’re less task-saturated (I’m Polar), and generally, there are more eyes on the AMC stuff because of the nature of it, I’d assume. As a whole, dispatch is very understaffed right now, though. We’re definitely giving our all working with what we have.

And yes, you’re right about the 747s on Southern. I dispatched for them back in 2017 (when they had 747s) and I guess they got rid of them since then. Lol. Shows how much I actually venture over into their dispatch section of the NOC… ope.

Ah yeah, missed that part. Sorry I did not read that correctly. To answer your question - no we don’t pick our flights. The shift lead picks them. And you might notice that Polar and/or your AMC flying on the Atlas side is more attentive because Polar has less aircraft to flight follow and they’re less task-saturated (I’m Polar), and generally, there are more eyes on the AMC stuff because of the nature of it, I’d assume. As a whole, dispatch is very understaffed right now, though. We’re definitely giving our all working with what we have.

And yes, you’re right about the 747s on Southern. I dispatched for them back in 2017 (when they had 747s) and I guess they got rid of them since then. Lol. Shows how much I actually venture over into their dispatch section of the NOC… ope.
I only saw 1 open position for atlas, unless that's incorrect and you're actually looking to hire more dispatchers. If you're that understaffed, hoping multiple positions are open :)

I have a hard time not making my ACARS messages sound sarcastic. I really wish they’d give us a question mark.

Southern didn't have 747s in 2017. They got rid of them around 2014/2015 if I'm not mistaken.

I only saw 1 open position for atlas, unless that's incorrect and you're actually looking to hire more dispatchers. If you're that understaffed, hoping multiple positions are open :)
They hired 3 at Atlas (all lines are filled now), 1 opening at Polar and 1 at Southern now. I would expect multiple openings happening soon due to everyone posting.

They hired 3 at Atlas (all lines are filled now), 1 opening at Polar and 1 at Southern now. I would expect multiple openings happening soon due to everyone posting.

If I recall, Atlas apps are kept on file too, even if one received a TBNT some time ago?

Southern didn't have 747s in 2017. They got rid of them around 2014/2015 if I'm not mistaken.
No... I believe I dispatched them when I worked with them in 2017 until I moved over to Polar. I could be mistaken, though... It was a very, very brief blip of time. LOL.

Edit:
By brief, I mean less than a month on the desk with Southern.
Also, regarding the 747's - I think I'm thinking of when I scheduled for Southern in 2014... that's when they had 747's -facepalm-... fuh I'm getting old.

Last edited:
Honestly not sure how many they're hiring this time around. But I'd expect many rounds of hiring if we get cleaned out the way we're anticipating.

Back