Atlas 767 Engine Failure

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
Apparently they put on a nice light show for Waikiki this evening. Looks like it worked out ok, other than some Amazon packages getting to where they are going a little bit late.

Not my video, although I did hear them compressor stalling like crazy.

atlas8585.png

Edit: apparently it was a pax flight, not a cargo flight. There is video from inside as well.

Last edited:
I'd make an effort to continue sleeping, as is customary.

So, story time. Apologize if Ive told this one before.

Flew LAX to NRT followed by min rest to deadhead on a company freighter to PVG (Shanghai). Show up for the deadhead exhausted and I’m told that it’s cool if I hit the bunk right after we take off. NRT-PVG is a short flight, but any sleep is better than none.

I feel the plane descending, so I hop out of the bunk, put on my uniform and strap into a supernumerary seat. I feel pretty good, even the short nap must have done me well.

Staring out the window, I see a long bridge. I fly into PVG all the time, you’d think I’d noticed that before. Oh well, the Chinese build stuff all the time. Then I see some mountains. There aren’t any mountains near Shanghai, I am concerned. Maybe we diverted to ICN for weather. We touch down and we roll passed the cathay pacific cargo terminal in Hong Kong. I am concerned, but sterile cockpit exists until the seatbelt sign goes off. I’m freakin out a little. Did I sleep though the ground time in PVG? I sleep like the dead sometimes.

We finally park, I approach the flight deck. Thankfully it’s the same two guys who were driving when we left NRT. Captain turns to me “you look like you have some questions.”

Turns out they had low oil pressure on one of the engines after we left NRT and shut it down. Because we were tankering so much fuel and we had a spare engine for the 747-8 in HKG the company asked them to divert. That explains why I felt like I got an extra two hours of sleep.

They didn’t tell me because “they thought it would be funny.” In hindsight it was, but until then, I was confused.

Last edited:
Apparently they put on a nice light show for Waikiki this evening. Looks like it worked out ok, other than some Amazon packages getting to where they are going a little bit late.

View attachment 55431

View attachment 55430

Edit: apparently it was a pax flight, not a cargo flight. There is video from inside as well.

Yeah, I think I read it was a military pax charter to Guam.

Yeah, I think I read it was a military pax charter to Guam.

Mil pax charters. Always a source of excitement. I can remember sitting in last chance at the approach end of RW27 at RKSO, my wingman jet and I having armed up and waiting #1 for takeoff as a Tower Air 747-100 pax bird is landing. Over our interflight freq, number two asks “are there parts coming off that 747 on short final?” I glance up from marking up my map with notes, looking up final and sure enough, there are 2 or 3 pieces of metal tumbling earthward, and as the 747 passes by us at the approach end and touches down, a couple metal sections come off the jet onto the runway. That 747 was grounded at the base for nearly 2 months before it was allowed to fly out again.

So, story time. Apologize if Ive told this one before.

Flew LAX to NRT followed by min rest to deadhead on a company freighter to PVG (Shanghai). Show up for the deadhead exhausted and I’m told that it’s cool if I hit the bunk right after we take off. NRT-PVG is a short flight, but any sleep is better than none.

I feel the plane descending, so I hop out of the bunk, put on my uniform and strap into a supernumerary seat. I feel pretty good, even the short nap must have done me well.

Staring out the window, I see a long bridge. I fly into PVG all the time, you’d think I’d noticed that before. Oh well, the Chinese build stuff all the time. Then I see some mountains. There aren’t any mountains near Shanghai, I am concerned. Maybe we diverted to ICN for weather. We touch down and we roll passed the cathay pacific cargo terminal in Hong Kong. I am concerned, but sterile cockpit exists until the seatbelt sign goes off. I’m freakin out a little. Did I sleep though the ground time in PVG? I sleep like the dead sometimes.

We finally park, I approach the flight deck. Thankfully it’s the same two guys who were driving when we left NRT. Captain turns to me “you look like you have some questions.”

Turns out they had low oil pressure on one of the engines after we left NRT and shut it down. Because we were tankering so much fuel and we had a spare engine for the 747-8 in HKG the company asked them to divert. That explains why I felt like I got an extra two hours of sleep.

They didn’t tell me because “they thought it would be funny.” In hindsight it was, but until then, I was confused.

They sound fun lol

View attachment 55431

View attachment 55430

Those engine farts make damned good anti-collision lights. So, they had that going for them... which is nice.

Last edited:
I mean seriously, with this, the Omni 767 landing gear collapse, and FDX's 767 lading gear issue last week... I'm glad I'm in whale school. :biggrin:
I was so close to going over to the 74, I still may, but it won't be this year

Back