ATIS questions?

gay_pilot18

Anyone ever notice that class B airports ATIS are all typically done with a computerized voice system.

E.G. CVG,SLC,PHX,ATL,DFW just to name a few that I have been to.

And ever notice that typically class C,D airspace ATIS are recorded by actual human people i.e. the controllers on duty.

I'm in PHX and was at DVT today checkin out Westwind and Pan AM. and noticed that DVT ATIS which is class D airpace was recorded by the controller.

Anyways anyone know why this is?

Matthew

At the airports that have digital ATIS (D-ATIS) we can send for the report to come up on our ACARS screen in text. That saves from changing frequencies to listen to it when coming into MDW, IND, MKE, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
At the airports that have digital ATIS (D-ATIS) we can send for the report to come up on our ACARS screen in text. That saves from changing frequencies to listen to it when coming into MDW, IND, MKE, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay thx. so then airports with D-ATIS has nothing to do with the class of the airspace surrounding the airport per se.

But more to do with the choice of format the airport wishes to use ie regular ATIS or D-ATIS?

Anyone know of any class C airports that have D-ATIS?

FlyChicaga Everett wanted me to tell ya hi and some other things I won't repeat
tongue.gif

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicago Midway (MDW) and Milwaukee (MKE).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicago Midway (MDW) and Milwaukee (MKE).

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt:

Doesn't IND have D-ATIS as well? Since we're talking about IND, what's the deal with 23R... did they plow that over for the new midfield terminal?

I wouldnt lose to much sleep over this. If you tune it up and its Digital, then its digital, if its a human, then its a human.
If you use Jepps, look where is says atis, it will have a (D) beside the number for digital.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Orange County/John Wayne (SNA).

[ QUOTE ]
Matt:

Doesn't IND have D-ATIS as well? Since we're talking about IND, what's the deal with 23R... did they plow that over for the new midfield terminal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they do, forgot to mention that one.

Not sure about 23R. I haven't been into IND at all this month. I'll be going there a lot next month though.

Raleigh/Durham NC (RDU) is another C with D-ATIS. It is indicated on the Jepps. It is really convenient, because controllers don't have to record it every hour ... just type it in to a computer and let it roll. Plus, ACARS-equipped aircraft can get the ATIS on their cockpit printers instead of listening to it, which is great in really busy areas.

As to IND, I believe the OLD 5L/23R was plowed under and a new 5L/23R was built further northwest, increasing the centerline separation between the two runways, allowing for simultaneous parallel approaches and making room for the future midfield terminal. That was a couple years ago that happened, though. Haven't been there lately to offer much more insight though.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oakland International (OAK)

[ QUOTE ]
As to IND, I believe the OLD 5L/23R was plowed under and a new 5L/23R was built further northwest, increasing the centerline separation between the two runways, allowing for simultaneous parallel approaches and making room for the future midfield terminal. That was a couple years ago that happened, though. Haven't been there lately to offer much more insight though.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I checked the NOTAMs a few weeks ago, they had NOTAMed the approach systems, runway, and lighting systems for 5L/23R as OTS. I'm just wondering if they plowed it under for the new midfield terminal.

[ QUOTE ]
Is 23R the runway where you have that REALLY long taxi back to the terminal if you land there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're think of the left side. ATC usually uses the right side for GA traffic and the left for commerical.

At any rate, if you miss the first couple of taxiways on any of the parallels, it's haul back to the terminal.

We land on 23R ALL the time. Yes, it is the LONG way back.
frown.gif
You fly fast and efficient all the way there then take 10 minutes to get to the gate. Of course someday a 10 minute taxi will seem like a gift from heaven I'm sure.

Back