ATC SIM

One of my favorite ATC websites hands-down, the guy's name is Jay Link. I've donated just so I could run JFK traffic and get top score. Your right though there are some issues (radar scale and waypoints/fixes are totally out of whack) but he updates the features and adds additional airports from time to time.

I donated money. I mostly work ORD, ATL, and MSP. How are you elgible for top scores? I do the standard mode (arrivals, departures) without any errors and still don't see my name.:mad:

I donated money. I mostly work ORD, ATL, and MSP. How are you elgible for top scores? I do the standard mode (arrivals, departures) without any errors and still don't see my name.:mad:

Right below the directions you can see the "Top 100 Controllers" click on that link and then you can break it down by airport. Most of these Top 100 have over 100 landings and handoffs so you will need to play for a long while.

While still on the radar screen you have to type EXIT or QUIT in the command box to capture your score and it'll take time to accumulate enough operations to qualify

Is this sim fairly similar to real life? I mean, outside of some obvious things like typing in commands, etc. Is there anything on there that is pretty realistic? Have any of you heard of VATSIM?

I agree that it is not realistic but it does give you some practice for a scan technique and it should help thinking 3 dimensionally using a 2 dimensional scope (as the airplanes climb, descend or turn what it would look like in the real world.

I don't think it is realistic at all nor is vatsim.

I disagree. Vatsim can be very realistic. You can practice your radios, clearances, etc. Vector planes around. And learn all about the IFR world.
I fly in real life, and vatsim is as close as it gets to the real thing.

Agreed, VATSIM is a pretty excellent network of very professional hobbyists. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a familiarization with ATC operations as long as you keep your expectations in check.

• It is NOT completely accurate
  • You will never handle the type of traffic loads that real ATCers deal with
  • You have to understand that it's a game.
If you keep your expectations realistic, I think VATSIM is a great tool for any applicant looking to become more familiar with the phraseology and procedures of real world ATC.

I use the program ATC Simulator 2, you have to buy it and its set for Tracon only, no tower or enroute, but it is a bit realistic keeps track of procedural errors (the manual is over 100 pages). Its more like going to work than playing a game, and it can get pretty intense.

I'm currently a member of www.fs-mp.com which is a good place to pick up some basic knowledge on how to atc if you're not one already. It's pretty fun and they keep it very professional and you must check out in positions to move up in your atc status. You are trained in this simulator by real atcers so it makes the experience just that much more real and exciting.

here is a promo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWoSpRiLwS0

Back