ATC shortage article

I might be a bit of a witch in church on this one, but if the FAA is having trouble finding people who are capable of learning to become controllers, is it possible that in trying to stuff 10 pounds of airplane poop into our 5 pound airspace/runway sack we're pushing the limits of what human controllers can safely handle?

Are you saying they withdrew as in they took the money and ran or knew they weren't going to make it. And where is this?
Most of them got move money and they (4 withdrew) and one washed out of the labs recently (last 3-4 months) here at A80 of people that received move money. Not mentioning the VRAs that washed out in the labs who were sent here without going to OKC for any FAA training.

Same happens at N90 with the money offered. People turning in blank maps get the money and wash out, move on to another facility they really wanted to go to. The incentives to go to hard to staff facilities have never really worked, until they stop giving the money until you are certified it will keep happening. Bumping up the hardest to staff a significant percentage to the base or via CIP would be a much more viable solution, and would likely draw more qualified controllers who know/think they can make it coming for the money.

I have a few friends who went through the CTC program and then were thrown out on the streets with everyone else.

There's a reverse discrimination suit against the FAA right now from someone out of Arizona.

I like how the attorney is alluding to the fact that somehow the skies are now unsafe due to the hiring changes lol..

At least they're getting a little smarter with this most recent hiring bid. Prior experience now comes into play with where you go so they shouldn't be sending some poor bastard with 6 years tower experience to a level 12 tracon anymore. Also it's a rolling bid rather than just 2 weeks.

Back