ATC Physical at the PEPC

menglish1

I've been trying to look at the requirments for physicals and getting confused I'm 23 and pretty healthy a little chubby after college but I get white coat syndrome pretty bad when I do my flight physicals usually I just need to sit down for a min or two and it comes right back down however the limits have always been 155/95 I've been reading on leftseat.com that for atc that its 140/90 I'm pretty sure if they give me a min to chill I'll definatly be under that unless the nurse is just smoking hot does anyone who has been through the prosess now and the website also said you have to do a resting ekg and a post work out ekg is this true I just thought it was a resting ekg and they hooked you up for a min then you where done. I've never had an ekg so i'm a little worried about that. does anyone know what happens if the ekg comes back abnormal do they do further testing or is it just a boot in the but and your out the door. Many things can make you have an abnormal ekg and you could be perfectly fine. I'm just getting excited and don't want this chance to be wasted on something silly. Thanks in advance.

just did mine yesterday. while i can only tell you my experience, i had a normal ekg. they only did a resting one, not a post workout.

The physical was the only portion of the PEPC that I had some apprehension about. I suffer from ITP and Diabetes. I take 7 prescriptions to treat both conditions. I thought for sure that I would be disqualified because of this. I explained my situation to the Flight Surgeon that my diabetes was caused by the meds that I use to treat my ITP condition. I'm slated to be off of medication at the end of July. Fortunately, he just asked for a medical report from my doctors and also a list of my meds. If I made it through with all of my issues I think most have nothing to worry about.

Eh, I had never done an EKG before...I kinda freaked out the first time because I had no clue what was going on. Had a little abnormal EKG, a little from being nervous, a little from the caffine I had just had, and a little from the nicotine...I had to take another one, at my own expense...Since I knew what to expect from it that time around, I was fine...No smokes or caffine that morning and everything was cool.

hey man, I'm 24 and a little chubby myself. My suggestion is to start eating healthier if possible. By doing that I got my BP from 142/90 to 133/88 in a matter of 3 weeks. I know how the white coat syndrome can be.

Eh, I had never done an EKG before...I kinda freaked out the first time because I had no clue what was going on. Had a little abnormal EKG, a little from being nervous, a little from the caffine I had just had, and a little from the nicotine...I had to take another one, at my own expense...Since I knew what to expect from it that time around, I was fine...No smokes or caffine that morning and everything was cool.
I used to hate getting my BP taken, if you're like me just do it a bunch of times, every time you're at the store or somewhere that has the automatic machines or buy a little tester.

ditto the other guys idea too, doesn't sodium jack your BP?

I used to hate getting my BP taken, if you're like me just do it a bunch of times, every time you're at the store or somewhere that has the automatic machines or buy a little tester.

ditto the other guys idea too, doesn't sodium jack your BP?
Only if you don't drink enough water. Stay hydrated and salt won't do a thing.

^ Not trying to argue... but that's not entirely true.

A high sodium diet (regardless of how "hydrated" you are) can cause - or at least contribute to - hypertension, especially if you already have other factors that contribute to a high B/P. I was diagnosed with moderate hypertension at the ripe old age of 21, most of which could be attributed to being chubby, poor sleep, and a horrible diet.

The first things I cut, high-sodium foods and soda, showed a dramatic improvement alone. If you can stand doing a simple "de-tox" diet 2-3 weeks before that physical (lots of fruits/veggies, easy on the sodium and preservatives, nix the caffeine), I'd be willing to bet your resting pulse and B/P will significantly drop.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, but there is the "ask a flight surgeon" thread in the main forum!

^ Not trying to argue... but that's not entirely true.

A high sodium diet (regardless of how "hydrated" you are) can cause - or at least contribute to - hypertension, especially if you already have other factors that contribute to a high B/P. I was diagnosed with moderate hypertension at the ripe old age of 21, most of which could be attributed to being chubby, poor sleep, and a horrible diet.

The first things I cut, high-sodium foods and soda, showed a dramatic improvement alone. If you can stand doing a simple "de-tox" diet 2-3 weeks before that physical (lots of fruits/veggies, easy on the sodium and preservatives, nix the caffeine), I'd be willing to bet your resting pulse and B/P will significantly drop.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, but there is the "ask a flight surgeon" thread in the main forum!
That's true. I forgot, when I read that they did talk about hypertension.

I'm a bit worried about the EKG segment myself. I have a certified heart murmur (since birth), and minor heart-valve problem, but it is not serious enough to merit medication, or surgeries, or anything of the sort. I've been to cardiologists, none of whom were altogether too concerned after testing.

I've inquired about a class-1 medical, and was told that as long as I do not have serious abnormalities or conditions, then I should be cleared...but I *know* that the doctor will remark as soon as I'm hooked up. I always get PVCs...

I wouldn't worry, if I were any of you. Everyone has slight variations in their heart patterns - especially when nervous -- and most of them are deemed completely normal.

I'm a bit worried about the EKG segment myself. I have a certified heart murmur (since birth), and minor heart-valve problem, but it is not serious enough to merit medication, or surgeries, or anything of the sort. I've been to cardiologists, none of whom were altogether too concerned after testing.

I've inquired about a class-1 medical, and was told that as long as I do not have serious abnormalities or conditions, then I should be cleared...but I *know* that the doctor will remark as soon as I'm hooked up. I always get PVCs...

I wouldn't worry, if I were any of you. Everyone has slight variations in their heart patterns - especially when nervous -- and most of them are deemed completely normal.

I would spend the $100 and go have a class 2 medical done (requirement for ATC). The Dr. will most likely have to defer it to the FFAA Flight Surgeon. This way you will have an answer from the "horses mouth" ,
and can see is you are going to be able to pass.

I would spend the $100 and go have a class 2 medical done (requirement for ATC). The Dr. will most likely have to defer it to the FFAA Flight Surgeon. This way you will have an answer from the "horses mouth" ,
and can see is you are going to be able to pass.

they don't do EKGs on FAA medicals, I have a 1st class (well now it's a third) and I've never had an EKG done. I guess if he reports it then they'll look into it but he'd have to ask an AME :confused:

edit: durrrr I guess they'd hear it.

atltracon- do they allow controlers on HBP medicine. I read somewhere that you can't be on meds if your atc... but yet they allow pilots this seams unlikely and I'm just looking for clarification I'm right on the edge and I'm trying to get it down before the PEPC in the end of July. I've held a first class for the last 2 years but worrying about this. Also I know in the future I'll prob. be on HBP medicine so I'd hate to give up my job for atc and then medical out for something like HBP. Thanks.

atltracon- do they allow controlers on HBP medicine. I read somewhere that you can't be on meds if your atc... but yet they allow pilots this seams unlikely and I'm just looking for clarification I'm right on the edge and I'm trying to get it down before the PEPC in the end of July. I've held a first class for the last 2 years but worrying about this. Also I know in the future I'll prob. be on HBP medicine so I'd hate to give up my job for atc and then medical out for something like HBP. Thanks.

http://www.faa.gov/jobs/job_opportunities/airtraffic_controllers/media/080505_medical_Std_b.pdf

says it requires "special review"

I've been on HBP meds in the past, it's not terribly bad, I just checked it off my meds and it was 154/89 so just BARELY over the 150/90 max for a 30 year old, but I don't want to waste the $ to go to NYC and get my hopes up and get DQ'd mediaclly.

I would imagine - and hope, at least - that they'd be willing to let it slide as long as the diastolic (bottom number) wasn't alarmingly high. I suffer from "white coat syndrome" too, and I've spent most of the last 7 years of my life taking people's B/P in one setting or another.

I forget who said it, but just pray the nurse isn't "smoking hot." :laff:

they don't do EKGs on FAA medicals, I have a 1st class (well now it's a third) and I've never had an EKG done. I guess if he reports it then they'll look into it but he'd have to ask an AME :confused:

edit: durrrr I guess they'd hear it.

They do an EKG for the 2nd Class ATC medicals. There are a few little things different for ATC and pilots.

Back