ATC pay

I really don't think we want "Rural/Metro" to get into the ATC business!

Nothing like having your firefighters that you depend on working for substandard wages, no retirement and very few health benefits.

But I might be wrong!
smile.gif

The point of privatization would be to allow that profit motive to create more efficient ways of doing business or develop different equipment faster than government will do. If they tried to privatize the system we have now I imagine it would be worse than it is. I don't see it happening beacause in order to allow for innovation, the government would have to not regulate the crap out of it and I can't see that happening to something as important as ATC.

[ QUOTE ]
The point of privatization would be to allow that profit motive to create more efficient ways of doing business or develop different equipment faster than government will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, sounds great.

How?

A good method would be a data up/downlink, but it's going to cost mega-bank, nothing that a profit-motivated airline nor ATC would want to bear.

[ QUOTE ]
A good method would be a data up/downlink, but it's going to cost mega-bank, nothing that a profit-motivated airline nor ATC would want to bear.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know there are several companies working on ATC data uplink/downlink systems right now. Of course they are targetting corporate aircraft because they are willing to spend the money on fancy systems now, rather than later like airlines do.

It won't be long before you see a weather uplink and automated clearances on airlines. I was working on a project like that at Lockheed-Martin just before I left in 1989.

We have the capability through ACARS, I think.

In fact, we receive PDC's thru the touchscreen instead of having to call up Clearance Delivery.

Extremely handy because all you've got to do is to the preflight page, hit "clearances", hit "PDC" and then "send".

Your clearance pops right up on the screen and you can print it if you need.

Actually I'm talking about full route clearance changes received in flight. Probably go straight from ACARS to FMS.

There were other fancy things too, like REAL TIME radar traffic, and Weather Channel radar.

Back