ATC keeping you.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
An interesting situation I run into with U90 where I'm at, but not with all controllers there. The situation is the same in terms of time of day (middle of night) and the background is the same, but different controllers handle it differently and I'm curious as to why. Its two separate situations:

1. When departing from the airport, either of the primary surface area airports TUS or DMA (helicopter), am only 500-700 AGL. Leaving the surface area at 3000-3500 MSL, and still well underneath the outer shelf (bottom of 4200 MSL), I'll usually tell tower that Im clear to the north/south/etc. Some tower controllers ask if i want to talk to radar (99% of the time no need to), and others give me a formal handoff to radar to contact them.

2. If i do get handed off to radar, I'll generally contact them and in my initial contact, let them also know that Im clear to the north/south/etc, again expecting to be released and told to change tactical, etc. some controllers do this, but others say "i need you to stay with me for the next X miles before i can release you."

If Ive left the surface area, and below 4200 MSL, Im outside RAPCONs airspace. Why would they want to talk to me when theres no other traffic around anyway at 0200, and how/why do they want to hang onto me when Im not in their airspace anymore anyway (am below the shelf and outside the surface area).

Sometimes, from these same few controllers, ill need to orbit an area working with ground units near an intersection or neighborhood, again outside the surface area and well under the shelf, and ill attempt to terminate with radar, but the controller will insist on keeping me and me needing to advise him how long ill be there, etc. Again, im outside his airspace and would prefer to terminate and change freqs so as not to have to monitor approach freq (especially in daytime busy time) and be able to work the tactical situation at hand with fewer distractions, while of course still maintaining see and avoid. Some controllers are cool with terminating, others insist on keeping me, again, even when im not in their airspace anymore.

Any particular reason for the differences of operation here? Ive always been under the impression that once outside their airspace responsibilties, ATC is more than happy to be rid of you.

I can't imagine telling MikeD to be more assertive....

But if you aren't in an area that necessitates you talk to them and you don't want to talk with them. Tell them you can't talk to them no more and to have a nice day. Certainly if it impacts your mission at the moment I wouldn't give any thought to terminating unnecessary ATC contacts. Maybe they think they are helping you in some way by retaining "control"? But the PIC should always shed the unnecessary, as necessary, when having to multi-task.

Not being familiar with the airspace or operation at all the only thing I can think of is they are holding on to you due to coordination ease or because they have something else going on probably on a discrete frequency that you're unaware about.

Not being familiar with the airspace or operation at all the only thing I can think of is they are holding on to you due to coordination ease or because they have something else going on probably on a discrete frequency that you're unaware about.

Sometimes when I would like to call approach, I give a heads up "So-and-so is clear to the west." When I don't hear "frequency change approved," most of the time it is because there is traffic that they ask me to call in sight in the next minute or two. Or maybe something else. VFR can we weird sometimes. Don't really know as I'm not a controller, but the local geography and airspace doesn't always correlate exactly with what the charts depict for pilots, and what LOAs and such are. I always defer to the guys working the airspace, and call them on the phone later if I have a question about it.

With helos here, they go NORDO doing their thing for their job, and while they aren't technically in the tower's airspace, they still cause traffic conflicts just the same. What I hear is usually "So-and-so, NORDO helo is 300' below you half mile your 2, please call in sight, not talking to him" -- which isn't good for anyone really. No one is breaking any rules, and it is a rare thing I when it happens, but it does happen.

Back