ATC Education/Work Requirement

JasonC

Apparently this question has stumped the FAA so I will post it here.

How close to graduation does a person have to be in order to be considered qualified on the education requirement?

For example, can a person apply 6 or more months before graduation or would they have to wait until they actually had a 4 year degree in hand.

The reason I ask is because I am a senior in college with an instrument rating and I would rather apply now since the ATC process is rather lengthy than waiting until next April/May when I graduate.

you dont have to have a degree to apply. just show 3 years work experience. their site says

"Have three years of progressively responsible work experience and/or a full four-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree, or some combination of the two"

unless you havent worked at all while being in college you would be fine. either way, you will have your degree before you get hired. i applied about a full year before i was planning on graduating and it worked out great. i graduated in may, started training in july

you dont have to have a degree to apply. just show 3 years work experience. Or a combination of the two, I think you meant to say. their site says

"Have three years of progressively responsible work experience and/or a full four-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree, or some combination of the two"

unless you havent worked at all while being in college you would be fine. either way, you will have your degree before you get hired. i applied about a full year before i was planning on graduating and it worked out great. i graduated in may, started training in july

Of course, the more the better... but like Sooner said, if you've got an acceptable amount, no need to wait.

That is what I thought. I was hoping that they would look at your application tentative upon graduation if a person did not have any full-time work experience due to college.

I really had no work during college, applied b4 i graduated, but I took at-sat b4 i graduated. now i'm set to go to OKC for Oct. 2nd academy date. should be fine.

Shyu, what did you put on the education question on the application since you applied before you graduated?

Apparently this question has stumped the FAA so I will post it here.

How close to graduation does a person have to be in order to be considered qualified on the education requirement?

For example, can a person apply 6 or more months before graduation or would they have to wait until they actually had a 4 year degree in hand.

The reason I ask is because I am a senior in college with an instrument rating and I would rather apply now since the ATC process is rather lengthy than waiting until next April/May when I graduate.

I applied on May 2, 2008. I graduated 8 days later. I'm still waiting for my Pepc 4 1/2 months later. I say apply.:)

I applied on May 2, 2008. I graduated 8 days later. I'm still waiting for my Pepc 4 1/2 months later. I say apply.:)

:yeahthat: I applied on 5/2 and graduated 15 days later... still waiting :panic:

Although it sounds like you're 2 semesters away from graduation... I'm not sure at what point it would be considered putting false information on your application, but I would think 2 semesters to go is not close enough to say you completed your degree. If you have other work experience that you can combine with whatever you've finished of your degree, then I say go for it.

I know i was denied PubNat1 because i didnt have adequate amount of time...I missed it by three months at the close of the application I believe but as long as you have it or will have it I believe you should be ok...but what do i kno *shrugs shoulders*

The FAA does not care if you have more than the minimum required. If you worked at all, even if it was scooping ice cream in high school or delivering news papers, put it down. All the HR folks are tasked to do is ensure that you meet the 3 years work experience, or 4 years college (does not require a degree), or a combination of both. This is not subjective. Its a govt job. They just have to mark the boxes and you either pass this step or not....don't make more of this than there is!

Back