ATC Assistance with WX

Couple things—I try to overshare what I see, what I’ve been pirep’d, what my plan is if they’re going to have to do something weird, etc., but sometimes I feel like I’m annoying the pilots like they think, uhhhh yeah no crap we have a wx radar.
I appreciate this, there is never "too" much info.

Are you being serious?

I once had an AAL level off at 7500 for a few miles during the descent from 8 to 6. When I asked if everything was ok he said there was a cloud and he didn't want to descend through it. Delta and "light chop" is a joke, but AAL not flying through the smallest, whitest, puffiest cloud is real. (This was a 10mi and SKC day, no weather in the area). AAL is also notorious for picking the worst moments to slow down without a peep.

Last edited:
Are you being serious?

Well, I have no idea if it is company policy or not. All I know is that in my 28 years working at the New York Tracon they've consistently been the airline that deviates the most, even around things we can't see on our radar, and more often refuse to go through low level weather that all other traffic is going through.

Well, I have no idea if it is company policy or not. All I know is that in my 28 years working at the New York Tracon they've consistently been the airline that deviates the most, even around things we can't see on our radar, and more often refuse to go through low level weather that all other traffic is going through.

It’s obviously not company policy. I’ll chalk it up to good judgment lol

It’s obviously not company policy. I’ll chalk it up to good judgment lol
If it's not company, than why is it always AAL? Conversely TAM will fly closer to the adverse weather than anyone else, is it a wonder they are known for weather related incidents? Big picture v. Me me me me. Just saying.

If it's not company, than why is it always AAL? Conversely TAM will fly closer to the adverse weather than anyone else, is it a wonder they are known for weather related incidents? Big picture v. Me me me me. Just saying.

First off being conservative around weather is not a bad thing. Sorry if it’s more work for you but it’s the nature of the beast.

There’s 15,000 pilots at AA. To say they are all super-conservative around weather sounds like confirmation bias on the controllers part. Hell, AA had a plane get destroyed in hail a couple weeks ago.

I don’t understand what you’re talking about with the “me me me” comment.

First off being conservative around weather is not a bad thing. Sorry if it’s more work for you but it’s the nature of the beast.

There’s 15,000 pilots at AA. To say they are all super-conservative around weather sounds like confirmation bias on the controllers part. Hell, AA had a plane get destroyed in hail a couple weeks ago.

I don’t understand what you’re talking about with the “me me me” comment.

Empirical data says they are all conservative. The me me me comment is in reference that all pilots (including myself when I am piloting) think that they are the only ones in the sky. Empirical data.

Empirical data says they are all conservative. The me me me comment is in reference that all pilots (including myself when I am piloting) think that they are the only ones in the sky. Empirical data.

If the alternative is flying through weather that I’m not comfortable with, yeah...it’s gonna be all about me.

Back