ATA AS II & III

SJFLYER

I would like to know from someone that is currently enrolled in AS II / III or that has completed AS II / III in the last 6 months: If the overall program is effective? How long did each stage took to complete? What where / are the major delays? Are grads getting placed? Would you do it all over again knowing what you know now?

Please just the facts from people who are enrolled or have been enrolled at ATA.

Thanks,

Orlando
<font color="black"> </font color>

I called them to just get the info, and Airstage III is so new that they have not yet had any students enter the program. That was about a month ago. I suggest you go through the forum of ATA and investigate what others have to say. You may just find some unanswered questions.

I started ASII in July. So in 4 months I have accumulated 65 out of the 100 hours required in the Aztec. I've also completed several ground schools. My best guess is that I'll be done by Feb or March of next year (7 months for ASII).

The major delay you're going to face in ASII is the quality of the airplanes. I don't know if you visited ATA yet but their airplanes are the absolute worst I've ever seen anywhere (I've been flying on and off for 19 years). They simply are not maintained and when they are taken in for maintenance, more often than not, the problem is not fixed - you'll see it again on your next flight. Major stuff, too. Engines (we've had 3 engine failures in the Aztecs since I've been there - plus tons of cancellations due to engine problems), radios, brakes (I've heard of more brake failures than I can count - it's a realy problem with our Aztecs), transponders .... etc, etc. The way things are running right now you can plan on one half of your flights being maintenance cancellations.

On the plus side, their ground schools (particularly the CL-65 Regional Jet sim) are very good and they do seem to have better connections with the airlines than anyone else I know of.

ATA grads are getting placed. The majority these days are going to ACA (starting with a 3-month "no pay" internship). Rumor has it that Great Lakes will be here in a month to hire a dozen or so. My advice is to get your initial training somewhere else (if you haven't already done so) and come to ATA for ASII so you can take advantages of their airline connections. Just keep in mind that you're going to have some very "interesting" flights in ASII (and I don't mean that in a good way. LOL). Good luck.

grin.gif

To quote turtle....

The major delay you're going to face in ASII is the quality of the airplanes. I don't know if you visited ATA yet but their airplanes are the absolute worst I've ever seen anywhere (I've been flying on and off for 19 years). They simply are not maintained and when they are taken in for maintenance, more often than not, the problem is not fixed - you'll see it again on your next flight. Major stuff, too. Engines (we've had 3 engine failures in the Aztecs since I've been there - plus tons of cancellations due to engine problems), radios, brakes (I've heard of more brake failures than I can count - it's a realy problem with our Aztecs), transponders .... etc, etc. The way things are running right now you can plan on one half of your flights being maintenance cancellations.

Where do I sign up?
confused.gif
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

More...

they do seem to have better connections with the airlines than anyone else I know of.

How did you come up with that? No flame, just looking for details behind a bold statement like that.

Chunk

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
How did you come up with that? No flame, just looking for details behind a bold statement like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that the "bold" negative statements were accepted without question, but the "bold" positive statements require substantiation.

To reiterate again, anyone looking for facts about any training program should investigate firsthand what they are all about and not rely only on hearsay and other's opinions.

Well, since he has personally flown the aircraft, he knows if they are crap. As far as "the best airline connections", I'm curious how he made that judgement.

Facts? Facts like the one you get from marketing?

please....

chunk

And I am curious as how you made the judgment that Flight safety is the best and every other school sucks. I think its great that you enjoy flight safety. I hope if and when I attend a school that i will be as happy with my decision as you are. But how can you say ATA doesnt even compare to flight safety, when you have only attended one of them. How do you do a comparison when you have only had experience with one?From what i pick up here on the board, you haven t attended Pan Am, Comair, ATA, westwind nor any other school.

I am not knock'n flight safety, i am sure its a great school, and has a great reputation in the industry, but there are other flight schools in the country that produce pilots just as great as FSI does.

-Brian

Hey Chunk,

Regarding ATA's connections with the airlines, when I was touring the place (May, 2002) I met several people who had just gotten jobs with ACA. A few months ago, ACA took another dozen or so, and just a couple weeks ago they took 12 more.

So, I guess that makes about 30 jobs in the last 6 months. Not a windfall, to be sure, but considering the overall job market today I don't think that's too shabby.

I haven't been doing any in depth surveys as to how other flight schools compare to this - that's why I've always been careful to say that ATA seems to have better connections with the airlines than anyone else I've heard of (I want to make it clear that this is only my OPINION and not gospel).

If anyone else has actual numbers for how other flight schools compare to this I think it would make an interesting comparison.

Back