At the beginning of your career, did you ever...

Cruise

This is taken from another site.....but I figured the greater participation, the better. Let's keep the ball rolling for positive change!

...have to rely on government assistance because your pay was too low? Did you ever receive food stamps? Or WIC?

I'm a documentary filmmaker working on a story about how low pilot pay is. I would really love to speak with a pilot who was in (or currently is in) this situation.

I think most Americans would be shocked to learn how difficult a new pilot's life is, and how poorly paid they are, especially considering the expensive and lengthy training they must undergo, and the responsibility they bear for hundreds of lives. After all, a doctor can only harm one patient at a time, but a pilot holds hundreds of humans in his hands. Seems like pilots ought to be remunerated accordingly.

I recognize that it is a difficult thing to ask you to do, but I hope you'll agree that this is an important issue that needs to be brought to the public's attention. I hope my film will be effective in shaming the airlines into paying a living wage and/or spurring the FAA to enforce reasonable minimum salaries. And while the low salaries at the regionals were briefly reported widely after the February Colgan disaster, I have never seen a pilot come forward and admit that he had to rely on governmental assistance because his employer paid him so poorly.

If you google my name, you'll see that I have worked in documentary film for some time. This project already has a distributor, and will be seen in theaters and on television and DVD. I am hoping to present pilots in a very sympathetic light - you are highly skilled, highly trained professionals, and the airline industry has been cutting costs on your backs for far too long.

Please email me if you'd be willing to consider speaking with me about this important topic. My email: agiebel@goldflat.com

Thank you!

Very best wishes,

Adriane Giebel

agiebel@goldflat.com

I know he said he's on our side, but I never ever trust the media. Whether it be documentary, news, print, or anything else, I just don't trust them.

Good luck to whomever responds. Maybe you'll get your 15 seconds of fame!!:bandit:

I know he said he's on our side, but I never ever trust the media. Whether it be documentary, news, print, or anything else, I just don't trust them.

Good luck to whomever responds. Maybe you'll get your 15 seconds of fame!!:bandit:

True, but there the only agent powerful enough to evoke change for you guys. Short of a few more smoking holes, there's nothing pilots are going to be able to do on their own to bring about the change they seek. When you're hanging from a cliff, it's not a time to be picky about who sticks their arm out to help you.

True, but there the only agent powerful enough to evoke change for you guys. Short of a few more smoking holes, there's nothing pilots are going to be able to do on their own to bring about the change they seek. When you're hanging from a cliff, it's not a time to be picky about who sticks their arm out to help you.
I don't work for the airlines, so it is a moot point for me.

The only thing I was wanting was to tag on to what was happening legislative-wise and try to get some 135 changes that were supposed to happen 2+ years ago finally making their way through.

Yes, for the airlines, this could be a good thing. It could also bite you in the ass if they spin it. Just my opinion...:bandit:

Edit to add...just look at the secret cam videos from Minneapolis or wherever it was from...got the pilots "unofficially" to say they didn't rest during rest periods.

He's not gunna have much of a story behind maybe first year pilots.

He's.....a SHE. ;) Doesn't matter......it's potential positive notoriety.

[below not directed specifically at you Trip.....simply an observation]

Pilots crack me up. They complain endlessly about the poor work rules/ conditions in the industry. We finally have the public's eye on our story....and now most automatically discount the media attention. This lady seems to have our best interest in mind. We need more of this...not a bunch of P.I.T.A. pilots citing why she won't help or can't get a story. Get serious people.

Also, if the story is spun....well, that would be unfortunate. However, it really doesn't seem to be the case. Guess we'll find out. Besides, what could happen....another story of how all pilots make $100K and work 10 days/ month...not likely.

I'd elaborate further, but I've got a silly-early show tomorrow. Time to hit the rack.

He's not gunna have much of a story behind maybe first year pilots.

I beg to differ. Having only an 8 hour break and of that only an average of 5-6 hours to sleep is something worth being exposed. And bringing home a whoping $32,000 a year after working for Colgan for 8 years as an FO (seems likely with todays movement) is something worth talking about also. With no drive, there will be no change. Do you want a better life for yourself and family, and a better career down the road, or are you o.k. with haveing SJS for the rest of your life. I am on track to make more than a 5 year Colgan FO as a flight instructor. WHY would I want to go and take 3-5 steps back to take one forward in 5 years? Paying dues is supposed to be a slow gradual progression, not a move all over the map.

Sack it up man. Stick up for yourself, and all the hard work you have put into this career.

I beg to differ. Having only an 8 hour break and of that only an average of 5-6 hours to sleep is something worth being exposed. And bringing home a whoping $32,000 a year after working for Colgan for 8 years as an FO (seems likely with todays movement) is something worth talking about also. With no drive, there will be no change. Do you want a better life for yourself and family, and a better career down the road, or are you o.k. with haveing SJS for the rest of your life. I am on track to make more than a 5 year Colgan FO as a flight instructor. WHY would I want to go and take 3-5 steps back to take one forward in 5 years? Paying dues is supposed to be a slow gradual progression, not a move all over the map.

Sack it up man. Stick up for yourself, and all the hard work you have put into this career.

:yeahthat:

There's lots of folks underpaid. I had soldiers on food stamps. Starting out just sucks sometimes, especially when the family pays the price.

As far as the reporter goes, who knows if she's legit or has an agenda. I'll give her credit for asking at least...

-LC

We'll I'm on foodstamps right now. Granted, I'm not on rental assistance as I make too much (need to make less than 800/mo for 2 people for rental assistance). Ya, CFI sucks some days. The days it doesn't suck is when my students do well. Otherwise it sucks.

Back