AT-SA exam

SHELLYJ

Are there any study guides for this exam? I have aviation experience in flight operations not in Air traffic control. I saw the announcement for the trainee position and i thought why not so applied and i fell into pool 1. Received a call to schedule the test i guess im going in the right direction. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated

I believe it's an all new test this time around but regardless it's an aptitude test not a knowledge test so there's not really a way to study for it.

I believe it's an all new test this time around but regardless it's an aptitude test not a knowledge test so there's not really a way to study for it.
I cringe at all the threads about how to study for the atsat and now atsa. If your apt to do this job it will show, otherwise this job is not for everyone.

I'm tired of having to work around those that probably shouldn't be in this job.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

To bump up this thread, after 5 years of rejection, I finally got invited to take the AT-SA! Seems to be rather limited info online since the test is new, but obviously I'd like to give myself whatever advantage I can on the few parts that one may be able to prepare for. Any info is greatly appreciated, the one guy I know in person who took it was a sharp guy with an ATC degree and did not do very well. A little worrisome but I am aware that all one may do is their best. Good luck to anyone else who got the offer for the test, mine is on October 12th.

To bump up this thread, after 5 years of rejection, I finally got invited to take the AT-SA! Seems to be rather limited info online since the test is new, but obviously I'd like to give myself whatever advantage I can on the few parts that one may be able to prepare for. Any info is greatly appreciated, the one guy I know in person who took it was a sharp guy with an ATC degree and did not do very well. A little worrisome but I am aware that all one may do is their best. Good luck to anyone else who got the offer for the test, mine is on October 12th.

ATC degree means jack, either for the test or the ability to do the job. ATSA is an aptitude test, not a knowledge test. With that said, I know there are some ATSA practice things you can do so you have a better understanding of what they're expecting on the test or how to do the problems. I don't know any off hand since I didn't have to do it, but stuckmic.com or pointsixtyfive.com can point you in the right direction

Hey, congrats man! Glad you're finally getting a shot, you deserve it.

I never took the ATSA but a few guys in my facility did and said there's basically no way to study for it. It's an aptitude test and the best thing you can do is show up well rested and in a good relaxed state of mind. The study guides or whatever they have on point sixty five should help a little, but I don't really think there's anything you can do to fully prepare for it.

I passed and made it into one of the hiring pools! Did anyone else make it through? I thought I probably failed, so did everyone else I know who passed.

Awesome, congrats dude! Let me know if you have any questions about the 100 hurdles you’re about to have to jump through to get to OKC! Incoming 500+ question psych test lol

I still don't know how people fail a test with questions like "do you hear voices telling you to harm others?"
After about the third question asking if i want to murder my dad I realized I’d prob be fine haha. Of course now I wonder what kind of psych test We “passed” to be in the same group of people as all the crazy people (myself included) that do this job haha

After about the third question asking if i want to murder my dad I realized I’d prob be fine haha. Of course now I wonder what kind of psych test We “passed” to be in the same group of people as all the crazy people (myself included) that do this job haha

The sad part is I know a guy who failed the first test and the meeting with the psychologist and second test. He's a cop.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to have daddy issues.

Update, good intro to the FAA. My experience went like this:

July: Apply online
September: "Congrats you passed the BQ somehow! Good for you. Here are 3 options in the next 30 days to take the AT-SAT in a select location".
October: AT-SAT
December: Entered into hiring pool, which is ordered by AT-SAT score, which you no longer receive, so all you know is you "passed" with no idea if that "pass" is a score they even look at. And so you wait.
(the candidates say: "Wow! That was fast! The FAA is really getting their stuff together!)
Late Dec/Jan: Record low number(in modern times anyway) of pool candidates are selected in the first "wave" of hiring due to internal issues and delays with class. July 2017 applicants are flown to OKC ahead of October 2016 applicants sitting around with TOLs(employment letters sans OKC date, hired from the pool).
March: Good news old chap! We're extending the hiring pool to last 3 years! In that time you can just sit there in the pool with no need to re-test unless you want to try for a better score. Just relax, everything is fine. We're here to help.
May: FAA hires another few hundred, again mostly with prior experience or in the highest percentile of test score, resumes not taken into consideration, and to the rest of us; Pools closed. Everybody out of the pool. Pools closed. Try again next year. Bye.

I was bummed out the day it happened, but now I laugh. Oh, FAA. What a cluster. I'm 28 in July, I'll keep trying.

Last edited:
I applied to the September 2016 OTS bid, tested around December of that year. Received a TOL in Feburary of 2017. Took a few months to get all my stuff done, had troubles getting a hold of the contact at Center to do my psych test, plus the medical took awhile to get into as the AME had to leave town. Had some back and forth with the medical people as I had to send some records in. That was all done around July 2017. Didn't hear anything for several months and life got busy. Finally e-mailed my HR rep back in February after I had a security interview. She said everything is cleared but my medical still, and I would have to get a hold of them to find out what the hold up is. Haven't been able to get an answer from anyone since.

I've also heard people from the Fall 2017 OTS bid have already gone off to the academy, and have talked to several people who were in my bid from 2016 who are also still waiting (a coworker is one of them). Pretty much hurry up and wait, good thing the military taught me something I can use.

She said everything is cleared but my medical still, and I would have to get a hold of them to find out what the hold up is. Haven't been able to get an answer from anyone since.

Do everything you can to get a hold of medical. Call/email every day if you have to. Call your hr rep to complain if they're not getting back to you. I also got held up due to medical cause of my ekg but they never said anything to me. I only found out about it cause my hr rep called me to ask when i was going to resolve my medical issue and I was like what are you talking about? My hr rep wound up sending them a nasty email and they finally emailed me after that.

Back