Assistant Chief Instructor Checkride

comstsa

I'm going up for an assistant chief instructor check sometime in mid January... any words of wisdom? The examiner said it's going to be the exact same check required for the Chief position. Thanks!

I'm going up for an assistant chief instructor check sometime in mid January... any words of wisdom? The examiner said it's going to be the exact same check required for the Chief position. Thanks!
The FAA uses an order (8700 i think) to conduct all checkrides. As a Chief or Assistant, you would be expected to know and use this. It's like a checklist, or detailed PTS.
Ask your Chief about it.

The oral quiz I got on 141 rules, record keeping requirements, etc was harder than the flights. If you can teach private through commercial maneuvers, you should be able to pass the check flight without much trouble.

The oral was very straightforward. They expect you to know the 141 rules and if you miss a detail be able to look it up. I was asked questions about what I am allowed to do when the Chief isn't around. They gave me scenarios along the lines of "a student does this bad thing blah blah what can and should you do about it?" Know your TCO's backwards and forwards. The flight portion was a combination of the 141 syllabi that my school has approved and was super easy.

The FAA Inspectors use order 8900.1 and it is available at FSIMS.FAA.GOV. The section that specifically refers to 141 chief and assistant chief check rides is Vol.5, Ch12, Sec1.

As previously stated, I would get very used to reading and referring to the 8900.1 for information concerning 141 schools and airman certification as everything that the FAA Inspectors do is covered in this document. Forewarned is forearmed!

Back