Aspen?

Well hey, I guess it's "gang up on ERAU_Intern" day.
grin.gif

I'm the friend that's going up with him on the flight to Aspen, so I'd like to say a few words about the aircraft itself. On a relatively cold day (like it is right now at Aspen), the plane will leave the runway with a 6000 DA at roughly 1500 fpm. Once it's cleaned up and in a cruise climb of 110 KIAS, it'll get on up at around 1300 to around 11000 before slowly dropping off. So, the climb gradient out of ASE is not going to be a problem...we've already figured that we'll be well above the 460'/nm requirement.

Single engine performance, while not exactly spectacular, is still enough to keep us alive. To be safe, we're not going to depart any less than the VOR approach minimums (plus a thousand foot buffer) in case of this sort of emergency. Even then, we'll have a good deal of altitude to play with before hitting the clouds, and with an SE climb of around 500-600 fpm at that altitude, ERAU_Intern and I are confident that we'll be able to get her turned around and back on the ground safely.

But seriously, the both of us do very much appreciate the insight from you guys with a lot of experience. Thanks.
grin.gif

Riddlepilot,
Thank you for a very well spoken response. It wasn't my intent to bash either of you guys. I have been damaged by many years of FSI and the "exploding dog" theory. We look at all bad things that could happen before the good.
We are the aviation version of borrowing your Dad's car for the first time.
"be careful with the brakes....
and don't burn my tires...
and look out for old ladies crossing the street....
don't tailgate...
scratch the paint and you won't drive until you 34.
Oh yea, have fun.
Chill out Dad, I'll be fine."

It sounds like you have done your planning. Go out and enjoy yourselves. Let us know how it goes.

Jason or anybody,
Can you remember the name of that little local restaurant just outside of town? Good BBQ etc? These guys need some good/economical food when they get there
grin.gif

Ya' know - as many times as I've been to ASE - which is probably at least a couple dozen over my career - it's always been a drop and go or a pick and go - I've never so much as had lunch there - how bad does that suck!?!? All the work and none of benefits
confused.gif

Jason

Well hey, we're back. Aspen was absolutely gorgeous this time of year. We were in and out of a scattered deck crossing through about 15000', then shot the Roaring Fork visual to runway 33. The clouds whizzing by along with the snow-capped scenery made for some great pictures.
smile.gif

Just a note to those who search this thread later, or search Aspen.

During the ski season and in the summer you will need a slot to get into ASE. They are so busy that you have to get your slot typically 24hours ahead of time. This the case for Vail and Telluride too in the winter. For GA planes typically you will be able to get in, but expect a hold. If you want something really exciting head down valley to Glenwood and land there.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]How true. I have a photo final approach at

http://www.midlifeflight.com/comntn.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a pic of you on the site!
laugh.gif

Spent time in Glenwood in '94 while on fire support for the Storm King /South Canyon fire...interesting and pretty area.

Glad to hear you guys are back and had a blast in the process. I read your other post about the descent. I guess we got carried away talking about getting you out and forgot to tell you about slowing down to get in....Ooops, our bad
crazy.gif

Hey, you even did something most of us haven't done....land on 33. We can only land on 15 and takeoff on 33.

It's pretty fun to watch the other phsychos on approach from the ramp too eh?

Yeah, just after we landed and shut down, an Air Wisky BAE-146 came in. Pretty amazing watching them come down from a VERY steep approach and flare at the last second. That airplane, for its size, has amazing short field ability!

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, you even did something most of us haven't done....land on 33. We can only land on 15 and takeoff on 33.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'know, I scratched my head about that for a couple minutes before realizing that I made a typo in my post above. We did the Roaring Fork to 15, not 33...though that would have been some fun.
smile.gif

Back