Article on regional pay and correlation to safety.

"Pilots don't mind making $16,000 per year because it's a steppingstone."

Hahahaha!

We don't mind, who cares if they pay us for flying, soon we'll be at the majors making five hundred thousand a year and working three days a month. I find it preposterous that these airlines give pilots the opportunity to fly right seat and build turbine time AND PAY THEM. Pilot's should have to pay for the opportunity (about $30,000 seems like a fair amount to pay) to play airline pilot.

BTW did anyone notice how shiny these things are?

Half of ALL ASAPs are submitted by ERJ/CRJ aircraft.

Wow. Really?

How much do you think that has to do with the number of operations that these two have relative to mainline? I think well over half of United's departures are United Express.

You've also gotta consider the average leg length at the regional, number of takeoffs and landings, time in the terminal environment, blah blah blah. RJ's are doing the kind of flying that allows for WAY more mistakes than mainline aircraft. When you're entire trip consists of EWR-LAX, overnight, LAX-IAH-ORD, overnight, ORD-EWR-BOS-EWR and you're done, you've got way less oppertunity for mistakes as you're not transiting in and out of the terminal area as often.

You've also gotta consider the average leg length at the regional, number of takeoffs and landings, time in the terminal environment, blah blah blah. RJ's are doing the kind of flying that allows for WAY more mistakes than mainline aircraft. When you're entire trip consists of EWR-LAX, overnight, LAX-IAH-ORD, overnight, ORD-EWR-BOS-EWR and you're done, you've got way less oppertunity for mistakes as you're not transiting in and out of the terminal area as often.

Nicely stated :beer:

"Pilots don't mind making $16,000 per year because it's a steppingstone."

Hahahaha!

We don't mind, who cares if they pay us for flying, soon we'll be at the majors making five hundred thousand a year and working three days a month. I find it preposterous that these airlines give pilots the opportunity to fly right seat and build turbine time AND PAY THEM. Pilot's should have to pay for the opportunity (about $30,000 seems like a fair amount to pay) to play airline pilot.

BTW did anyone notice how shiny these things are?

:D

But on a more serious note, I really believe that for any fulltime flying position there should be a minimum of $30,000/year. Which, needless to say, is why I don't work for a regional right now (even if the were hiring).

Wow. Really?

How much do you think that has to do with the number of operations that these two have relative to mainline? I think well over half of United's departures are United Express.
At HDQ they said Skywest does close to 1/4 of United's total flying so...wouldn't doubt it.

It will not be too many years before all the ASAPs are CRJs/ERJs since all the domestic flying will be done by the regionals and all the international flying will be done by overseas airlines.

Look at the trend.

Back