Army Kills Comanche Helicopter

Looked like a pretty cool airframe
frown.gif

Comanche.jpg

So after 20 years and nearly 7 BILLION dollars we have two bad ass choppers!

Flying what amounts to a three and a half billion dollor aircraft has got to make that pilot nervous.

I think the Apache will do just fine in that role.

I do have to admit the hyperlink made me think "Holy crap! When did the Comanche Nation get helicopters?"

[ QUOTE ]
I do have to admit the hyperlink made me think "Holy crap! When did the Comanche Nation get helicopters?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever "moonlighted" as a comedian???
cool.gif

The Commanche was not a replacement for the Apache. It was a replacement for the aging, and ad-hoc, Kiowa scout helicopter (basically a Bell Jet Ranger (or equivalent) with radar and some weapons stuck on it). Seems like kind of a dumb move to me. The reason is probably far more political in nature than technical in nature.
smirk.gif

Someone didn't support someone else on a piece of legislation, you think?
smile.gif

The Commanche is all the a Army Aviation community has talked about for the past 20 years. It was supposed to the poo!!!. It has been in developement my entire aviaton career. I am going to be sad to see it go. Heck maybe it will end up in the Army Aviation Museum in Ft. Rucker, Al.

It'll probably come back, in a few years, with a few changes and a different name ...
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
More money for Blackhawks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because we all know THOSE things are indestructible.

wink.gif

They are pretty tough, but they also have enough power to get young aviators into trouble, and we all know that a mistake in aviation can be unforgiving.

[ QUOTE ]
They are pretty tough, but they also have enough power to get young aviators into trouble, and we all know that a mistake in aviation can be unforgiving.

[/ QUOTE ]

One AK-47 round in the right spot is enough to take one down.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah if the bullet passes through both pilots heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

All you need to do is take the oil outta that gearbox!!!!!
tongue.gif

Back