Arizona or Florida, which is better to learn?

[ QUOTE ]
I understand your point, because I was in your shoes not too long ago, and I wanted to fly thorought he clouds as much as possible. Wait until you are single pilot, solid IMC, single engine, and you are shooting an ILS to mins...then you might wish you were not in the clouds...

[/ QUOTE ]

I too was the same way until about a week and a half ago. Our 182RG went in for 100-hr. insp., and they found chunks of metal in the filter. Come to find out, a large chunk cracked off one of the pistons (I have pics, maybe I will post them later). There were never any indications of a problem until the cut open the filter. It was running fine...but probably wouldn't have for more than another hour or so. I fly our airplanes in IMC all the time. Will I still fly single engine, single pilot, IMC? Probably...but now I will be a little less gung-ho about it....just did a SP, IMC/IFR flight today with it in fact (with a new pison of course). But I agree with Rausda 110%....

I'd say the advantages AZ has are the year round VFR weather, complicated air space, and mountain flying. However, as everyone as said, you can pretty much get good experience, and different types of experience with terrain, weather, etc. anywhere you go. It's more about your readiness to learn, than location, so I wouldn't move for the sole purpose of flying in a better location. The Northwest has many chances for actual time, and right now, I've only got about 2 hours of actual time, one of which was in Omaha, Nebraska!

The point I was trying to make is, you can fly VFR year round in Seattle.

Liike I said before, I did most of my training in Seattle. I did do some in Las Vegas though. Every area has its own unique parts. My goal was to fly in Alaska. To get a job in Alaska they want hundreds of hours of Alaska time or Pacific Northwest time.

The thing to remember is we all fly in the best place until we go somewhere else. I have taught in Seattle and Alaska. I have picked up lots of ice in unforecast conditions, and have flown through some great mountainous areas. Actual time during the instrument rating does help with confidence and is does look good on a low time pilots resume.

As for the guy who's interview I sat in on, he is a buddy of mine who I took in for the interview.

Thanks for the many great replies. I might just stick around for another year here in the Northwest, get my private next summer and go from there. Another advantage of learning to fly in Oregon is no sales tax. That's about a 9% discount right there. My biggest concern right now is $$$.

Again, thanks for the input.

[ QUOTE ]
I am already Instrument Rated and am currently working on my Multi-Engine/Instrument rating

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck does this mean?

If you are "Instrument Airplane" rated then isn't that it?

What's Multi-Engine/Instrument rated?

To get instrument privelages in a multi, you must do a single engine ILS. That means, you either:

a.) Do your instrument in a multi to begin with
b.) Do it in a single, then take another one in a multi so you can do the S.E. ILS
c.) When you do your commercial multi-ad on, do the S.E. ILS then

Thanks for the info!

I did my Comm and Inst in the ME and didn't realize that.

So if you do your Inst in a SEL then on your certificate does it say Instrument Airplane (Single Engine ONLY)

Yeah. Under the ratings heading, it would read:

Airplane Single and Multiengine Land, Instrument Airplane
(Multiengine VFR Only)

...or something along those lines...
smile.gif

Rasko, you mentioned you live in Oregon. If your anywhere near Portland check out Stark's Twin Oaks in Hillsboro. 150s are $48/hour wet with GPS. 172s $68, examiner fees $175, it's pretty cheap and a great place to learn. I did my private in the middle of winter, you don't need to wait for summer to learn. I'm not a CFI trying to dig up business (yet) just FYI. good luck

Hey Booth, thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into it. I live in Seattle now and the rental rates are way too expensive, ca. $100 for a 172 wet. I will be free to relocate in January and might just be looking to move to Portland.

Back