Ari-Ben - DCA

tomek_vector

i know this might be getting a bit old, but i've got a question on my mind eating away at me regarding what school to shoot for.

i've seen DCA, took their tour, played in the Frasca - great first impression.

visited Ari - seems to me like a place where glamour doesn't matter much. they'll just a 'man' out of someone. the old aircraft and humble premises are fine with me. i respect that.

putting the 'guaranteed' interview aside, what would i miss out on if go Ari? that's what i'm leaning toward. between the multi time and lower cost at Ari it looks more and more interesting.

when all is said and done, what would be the differences between 2 people coming out of the schools when you compare them side by side?

Between those two choices, personally, I'd go with Ari.

Not only is it much much cheaper, with much more multi time, it would be a lot less stressful.

IF you are lucky enough to be hired by DCA as an instructor (I don't believe most are), you'd be in very good position for a 1st officer job, but I think you'd have a better chance instructing at Ari.

My 1.5 cents, as I really don't know that much about either school.

Re: \"Ari who?\"

Lets say you do everything right:

Choice 1: Attend FSI, obtain CFI, get hired, wait 1+ year to instruct (obtain MEI & CFII while waiting), say after 3 years from CFI you have 1000 hrs TT if with 100± multi with FSI on your resume .

Choice 2: Attend Ari, obtain CFI, MEI & CFII. Begin teaching after 1-? months, say after 3 years from CFI you have 2000 hrs TT with 70-80% multi , you have "Ari who?" on your resume.

Who gets hired first for a regional job?

Down the road a ways who gets hired first for a job with the majors?

[ QUOTE ]

Choice 1: Attend FSI, obtain CFI, get hired, wait 1+ year to instruct (obtain MEI & CFII while waiting), say after 3 years from CFI you have 1000 hrs TT if with 100± multi with FSI on your resume .

Choice 2: Attend Ari, obtain CFI, MEI & CFII. Begin teaching after 1-? months, say after 3 years from CFI you have 2000 hrs TT with 70-80% multi , you have "Ari who?" on your resume.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one seemed to care that I came from Riddle.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, all I wrote got deleted.

The Ari-ben pilot will have the much greater chance being hired for a regional job. The Ari-ben pilot will be better off in the future for the majors (though that's speculation on the last one, who knows if majors hire in the next 10 years)

I really hope all you folks going to big academies aren't just going there to have the name on your resume.

[ QUOTE ]
I really hope all you folks going to big academies aren't just going there to have the name on your resume.

[/ QUOTE ] A well respected name on a resume means much more than just a name on a resume. There is usually a lot more behind it. I do not know the impact that it will have in the flying community, but in other professions it matters greatly. Not to mention the pride factor, it's important to stick out your chest when you belt out your alma mater.

On the other hand...........your not going to belt it out to your wife if your unemployed!
grin.gif

My point is, with such the greater advantige in hours/ME/instructing time for the Ari-ben pilot, there is no possibility that having FSI/DCA on your resume will outweight that.

Now: Take two hypothetical pilots with same amount of hours, and it gets a bit competitive
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My point is, with such the greater advantige in hours/ME/instructing time for the Ari-ben pilot, there is no possibility that having FSI/DCA on your resume will outweight that.

Now: Take two hypothetical pilots with same amount of hours, and it gets a bit competitive

[/ QUOTE ]
Now: Take two hypothetical pilots with same amount of hours, one with FSA/DCA on the resume and the other is hung like a horse.............Who gets the job?
smirk.gif

If many professional pilots say it really doesn't matter where you got your ratings from, I would have to say the person who does a better job with there interview will get the job.

Sorry to break up the fantasy, but a 1000TT CFI @ FSI will have more like 500 multi.

Yeah, but don't forget to mention FSI has almost a year waiting list to work as a CFI.

"Sorry to break up the fantasy, but a 1000TT CFI @ FSI will have more like 500 multi. "

It was hypothetical! Jeez
smirk.gif

Even so, the Ari-ben pilot would be more hireable. I'm sorry, but FSI on your resume doesn't equal 1000 hours of experiance..

There so so many variables though, it's all guesses.

Back