Arguments regarding flight instruction in Australia

Ophir

Is there any reason to not attend one of the Australian academies? I have look a number of Aussie and Kiwi programs that seem to have all the instruction and time building elements in place, but I don't know if that type of education would be internationally recognized.

Can a person do a bit of traveling, fly at a fraction of the cost here in the states and return with some equivalencies?

Ophir said:
Is there any reason to not attend one of the Australian academies? I have look a number of Aussie and Kiwi programs that seem to have all the instruction and time building elements in place, but I don't know if that type of education would be internationally recognized.

Can a person do a bit of traveling, fly at a fraction of the cost here in the states and return with some equivalencies?

I think it's better to get your license in States. I did my PPL from RMIT Flight Training. Trust me, the aircraft hire rates are way expensive then in States but on the other hand you only need 150hrs for CPL.

Ophir said:

Recognised, for Australians ;)

Chuck, one of our jet captains in ORD worked everything through his commercial in Australia. Came back to get his CFI. I can't remember what all he had to do to convert, though.

I was just checking this very thing out in person last month in Victoria and QLD, Australia. Quick answer: no, you do not have to be Australian for the training to be recognized, actually it is well recognized worldwide. The Aussies tend to do their ratings in a bit different order than we do in the states, but the Aus->FAA conversion is way easier than the opposite. Anyone want any specific info PM me.

PPL conversion

I'm thinking about getting my PPL in Australia (for personal reasons),then coming to train for CPL,IR,CFI etc. in the States. I've looked at FAA website and I've contacted some FBOs,and it seems the conversion is only an office work. Does anybody have experience with that? Is it similar flying in the U.S to flying in Australia (for ATC procedures etc.)?

Re: PPL conversion

Does anybody have experience with that? Is it similar flying in the U.S to flying in Australia (for ATC procedures etc.)?

Because of ICAO, almost everything is standardized. There are still small differences, but overall the big picture is the same.

So how much of an issue is it to get your commercial converted/recognized in Oz. FAA -> CASA? How much cheaper are rental rates on like a 152 there?

Back