Area Forecasts

azaviator08

I've been trying to figure this out and I cannot find it referenced in any book. It seems pretty simple and I tried to figure it out by just looking at one. But, I wanted to know the correct answer. What are the 4 parts of an Area Forecast?

The FA consists of a:
12 hour forecast plus a 6 hour outlook. All times are Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). All distances except visibility are in nautical miles. Visibility is in statute miles.

synopsis section which is a brief summary of the location and movement of fronts, pressure system, and circulation patterns for an 18 hour period.

VFR clouds and weather section which is a 12 hour forecast, in broad terms, of clouds and weather significant to flight operations plus a 6 hour categorical outlook. This section is usually several paragraphs. AIRMET Sierra supplies information regarding Instrument Flight Rule (IFR) conditions. The breakdown may be by states, by well known geographical areas, or in reference to location and movement of a pressure system or front. A categorical outlook, identified by OTLK, is included for each area breakdown.

Amendments to the FA are issued as needed. An amended FA is identified by AMD, a corrected FA by COR, and a delayed FA is identified by RTD.

That is from: http://aviationweather.gov/products/fa/info.php

I have not heard of "4 parts" description.

4 Parts to an FA:

- Product Header
- Precautionary Statement
- Synopsis
- VFR Clouds and Wx

I ask about all the time in checkrides

Pick up the Aviation Weather Services handbook. Or download it. You won't have have many questions to ask about weather products after that! :)

Pick up the Aviation Weather Services handbook. Or download it. You won't have have many questions to ask about weather products after that! :)

I have it in my bed under the FAR/AIM! I read it though and went back and skimmed chapter 7 again upon reading this post and didn't find this. I fail :(

I ask the same exact question. Then I ask what does ALF mean and which part of this synopsis section applies to you?

I ask the same exact question. Then I ask what does ALF mean and which part of this synopsis section applies to you?

LOL. A student asked me and I said they were talking about the alien TV character and I thought it was stupid too. So I told him to look it up on youtube. So here we are watching Alf on youtube before I started cracking up and then finally let him know.

Man, using the area forecast well is one thing I noticed advanced students were shockingly weak on. Sure, they could spout off the abbreviations and stuff, but when I asked them to use the FA to predict the conditions at our destination at our ETA, 2 times out of 3 I'd get blank stares and have to walk them through the process.

All that to say, memorizing stuff like the valid period and the various parts is useful, but the students really need to know how to use the product. But you already knew that.

I agree. I think it is stupid to memorize the different sections and useless bits of info. I would rather they know how to interpret and use.

Back