Are tours allowed in ATC facilities these days?

DE727UPS

I'd love to go see SoCal Tracon. I worked as an ATA at LAX tracon back in 85. Also hoping to do some free lance IFR training this winter and would love to talk to the sector that's on 127.3

Our local TRACON/tower requires that you schedule in advance and provide a list of the people coming so they can run background checks. I would assume that’s a standard procedure, though bigger facilities may have additional requirements.

Just call them on the land line and ask.

It’s facility dependent but most aren’t doing them due to Covid. Never heard of background checks being done for tours before.

The last time I organized a tour of a Tracon, which was years ago, names had to be submitted weeks in advance, and no foreign nationals were allowed. I always found it ironic that I was unable to get my Norwegian students and CFIs on a TRACON tour, but was able to take them to Shaw AFB for altitude chamber training.

I feel like Facility Tours and Flight Deck Training are both going to be things that were super easy to take away becasue of COVID, and then not come back for 5+ years.

I used to really enjoy taking friends/family that were interested into the Center and having them sit and watch me work a session, it gave them such a better idea of what the job really is.

For pilots and controllers, getting to see each other's work environment is so beneficial i honestly feel like it should be a mandatory part of training.

For pilots and controllers, getting to see each other's work environment is so beneficial i honestly feel like it should be a mandatory part of training.
Yeah, totally agree. Would love to take a group of IFR students to SoCal. Would be a real eye opener. I had the benefit of working at LAX Tracon in 85 as an ATA (flight data). Few professional pilots have a good understanding of what goes on with ATC.

I'd love to go see SoCal Tracon. I worked as an ATA at LAX tracon back in 85. Also hoping to do some free lance IFR training this winter and would love to talk to the sector that's on 127.3
Prior to COVID, SoCal would offer to arrange tours at annual airport meetings.

SoCal Approach is a little nicer than the old hangar LAX approach used.

The flip side is true, too, though. Few controllers really know what's going on in the pointy end of a jet and why we won't always do what you tell us.
Charts up in the window to block the Sun. Autopilot kicked on and just relaxing with a cup of joe. Talking about this new great investment with your co pilot ??

Charts up in the window to block the Sun. Autopilot kicked on and just relaxing with a cup of joe. Talking about this new great investment with your co pilot ??
What are charts? My iPad doesn't cover the windscreen very well.

"Operation Rain Check - Houston TRACON"

Topic: Tour the Houston TRACON. Meet the Voices in Your Head....Set!

Best tour of an ATC facility I've EVER had. Awesome learning experience.

Back