Are most people able to finish private in summer?

I am still debating about whether to start in the summer or not at UND. One person told me it is hard to finish up the private in the summer course, and I would have to go into the fall semester, thus making it not worth it. Also, how long does it usually take to get all the way through CFI? Would I have it by senior year? Are there many freshman that start in the summer for flight(basically is it easy to make friends in the summer or would you suggest waiting until the fall). Thanks!

I am still debating about whether to start in the summer or not at UND. One person told me it is hard to finish up the private in the summer course, and I would have to go into the fall semester, thus making it not worth it. Also, how long does it usually take to get all the way through CFI? Would I have it by senior year? Are there many freshman that start in the summer for flight(basically is it easy to make friends in the summer or would you suggest waiting until the fall). Thanks!
Start in the summer. If you finish it will give you a head start on everybody else. You are gonna get a bunch of posts from a bunch of guys who will tell you not to even start at UND. But start the summer course and if it takes you into the fall, well thats a gamble, but one that I would take. You should be able to get your cfi by the time your junior year is over. Good luck.

One of the best decisions I made at UND was starting in the summer. Most of my friends that I still hang out with often I made during the summer. Plus Private is A LOT of fun in the summer...Don't wait till fall, it might feel like you got cheated out of a summer but it was actually very fun here, plus it helps ease the transition into the college setting.

As for the time issue, if you fly whenever you can and stick with it, you WILL get done, I had no issues. I started Summer 07' and this spring I am starting CFI. If you fly every semester you will get to CFI some time in your junior year.

Also take AVIT 103 with 102 in the summer, super easy; and fun class.

Though I would recommend not starting at UND at all, if you did have to start at UND, I would HIGHLY recommend starting in the summer. The way ND weather is, I would worry more about finishing up the PPL in the fall than in the summer. My .02

I see it two ways:

1) I started in the summer back in '04, and finished it. We used to have 34 lessons (now it's only 30). I HIGHLY recommend it.

2) HOWEVER, you get to pay an extra semester of out-of-state tuition by staying in the summers. I stayed here two summers and paid out-of-state tuition (stupid me). That's what really brought my debt higher than if I would've done fall/spring semesters only. It's something to highly consider.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I will be getting my bachelors in ATC and doing flight on the side. I visited in November and despite the cold weather, I really liked the campus and enjoyed my first college party (despite it being mainly a SATCA party). Instead of sitting on my a8* all summer, I might as well start my flight!

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I will be getting my bachelors in ATC and doing flight on the side. I visited in November and despite the cold weather, I really liked the campus and enjoyed my first college party (despite it being mainly a SATCA party). Instead of sitting on my a8* all summer, I might as well start my flight!

Thats a good attitude to have coming in. Don't let people talk you out of it, if you think it's a good fit. I had a great time each of my summers up there. A lot of Frisbee golf and Red Lake Falls Tubing. Had a blast.

Should be fun! Does anyone know what dorms are used in the summer? For the fall, I put West as my first choice. I will hopefully be getting a job with Dietrich (sp?) as a bus driver. Anyone know if a CDL is required??

Should be fun! Does anyone know what dorms are used in the summer? For the fall, I put West as my first choice. I will hopefully be getting a job with Dietrich (sp?) as a bus driver. Anyone know if a CDL is required??

Don't do west!!!! NO! BAD! Brannon is okay, and the one east of it is okay I guess. I think they've been using Noren(?) during the summers..

I'm on West's infamous 4th floor, and if you want to have fun, it's great. If you want to study, it would stink. Brannon and West are neck in neck for the most common damage (drunks trashed ALL the microwaves in Brannon, we had a drunk put a chair through a wall and got our vending machine vandalized). If you've done AP/Running Start and have more than 30 credits, go for Selke. When I've been in there, it's been quiet; people were even studying in the common area. In comparison, during finals week folks carted out the projector and XBox to my common area!

I'm on West's infamous 4th floor, and if you want to have fun, it's great. If you want to study, it would stink. Brannon and West are neck in neck for the most common damage (drunks trashed ALL the microwaves in Brannon, we had a drunk put a chair through a wall and got our vending machine vandalized). If you've done AP/Running Start and have more than 30 credits, go for Selke. When I've been in there, it's been quiet; people were even studying in the common area. In comparison, during finals week folks carted out the projector and XBox to my common area!

Wow. Last year the same stuff happened in Brannon. All microwave plates splattered on the sidewalks outside, window screens smashed through, hole in the wall near elevator smashed in not once, twice, but THREE times, and the emergency exit signs were taken down a few times, it was interesting. But still, Brannon was way more fun than west was... It was kindof a mix of west and selke, fun but you could study if you had to.

I lived in West my freshman year, Selke last year, and now I'm back in West. Selke is a very quite hall because most of the people have a room to themselves--maybe 10-15 people per wing. Next year, West and Noren are both going coed (the only guys only hall will be Walsh.) West is a great place to live though and I really enjoy it.

If you are going to be at UND in the summer, you'll either be in Noren or Selke since no other hall is open I think.

I lived in West my freshman year, Selke last year, and now I'm back in West. Selke is a very quite hall because most of the people have a room to themselves--maybe 10-15 people per wing. Next year, West and Noren are both going coed (the only guys only hall will be Walsh.) West is a great place to live though and I really enjoy it.

If you are going to be at UND in the summer, you'll either be in Noren or Selke since no other hall is open I think.

I thought you were in Brannon last year?

If West goes Coed that will improve it SO much.

Holy crap i didn't know any of those dorms went coed. That should be interesting. I am slightly glad west wasn't when i was there because none of our shenanigans would have went on then.

Just go to Dietreichs and apply. They will teach you everything you need about driving the bus. After you pass the test then they will put you on routes. Hockey buses are awesome if you go to the games.

I thought you were in Brannon last year?

If West goes Coed that will improve it SO much.

Nah, but a friend and I would walk over to Brannon from Selke quite often to play some ping-pong.

Right now we're trying to decide how to split West up....either by suites or by wings. It looks like we'll go with it being coed by wing and seeing how it goes.

Thanks for all the help! When I stayed at West (2nd floor) one night when I visited, the kid I roomed with had condoms opened all over his sink...it was hilarious. Kids also put cups in a pyramid right by his door so when he opened his door, water was everywhere. I didn't think this was the norm..but now I know. Do you think I should take just aviation 102, 103 or should I include one more class like english to equal 10 credits?

You could take Avit 100, 102 and 103. 103 and 100 are super easy, if you show up you basically get an A. I would take it easy and just take those. Hold off English till Fall. Ease into it and test the waters, with those three you should be fine. Plus one class in the summer takes 2x as much out of your day as one class in a regular semester. Don't get overloaded, 102 is a big one.

If I could retake it, I'd would have taken those three.

Thanks for all the help! When I stayed at West (2nd floor) one night when I visited, the kid I roomed with had condoms opened all over his sink...it was hilarious. Kids also put cups in a pyramid right by his door so when he opened his door, water was everywhere. I didn't think this was the norm..but now I know. Do you think I should take just aviation 102, 103 or should I include one more class like english to equal 10 credits?

That's not the norm, but it happens a couple times every year. I've seen the dixie cup thing done last month. Knowing the guy that they did the prank to, I'm expecting more pranks to be pulled on him.

Wow. Last year the same stuff happened in Brannon. All microwave plates splattered on the sidewalks outside, window screens smashed through, hole in the wall near elevator smashed in not once, twice, but THREE times, and the emergency exit signs were taken down a few times, it was interesting. But still, Brannon was way more fun than west was... It was kindof a mix of west and selke, fun but you could study if you had to.

That just sounds expensive. Did they split the cost of repairs throughout the building to pay for damages? I lived in smith hall and that was somewhat boring. I had to pay 4 dollars at the end for janitor fees because someone threw up all over the bathroom. Apparently its an all female hall now

Back