Are ANR kits any good?

canuck goose

Hi folks,

I've recently browsed the web and found a company (headsets inc)that offers to retrofit ANR kits into non-ANR headsets. Now, I own an Avcomm 900 and I'm thinking of doing the retrofit but the price tag makes me think twice about it. The standart kit is 189$ with the gel earseal + 50$ if I want the kit installed by them, so that's 239$ for the retrofit, I find it's kind of pricey, but I'm thinking, if it's worth it, why not?...

Has anyone out there tried that sort of kit? Also, to ANR users, do you really hear the difference inflight?

Thanks a bunch
Canuck Goose

After researching quite a bit, I heard nothing but positive feedback about them. I also found a couple of personal websites that showed installation, etc.

At sun n fun a couple of years ago, I found their booth. They had a speaker set up playing airplane noise and the $600 DC, Lightspeed, Bose, and a pair of 13.4's with the kit. The 13.4's blew away the DC and Lightspeed in my opinion. They were noticably quiter. The Bose were almost exactly the same in noise attenuation, but of course they fit completely different.

I purchased a kit on the spot and it took me a careful 3 hours to install them in my 13.4's. 1.5 years and they're still perfect.

I think the real benefit was not only saving $200 (compared to the DC ANR) but getting a "new" anr headset without having the hassle of not knowing if it will be comfortable. I loved the 13.4 before, and after.

PS. If you wonder about their quality, ask Sigtronics. Sig contracts with headsets.inc to do all of their ANR headsets.

Thanks Lancair1 and Eagle for your feedback. Eagle, did you installed it yourself? If so, did you guys think the instalation was hard?

I am a cfi, and for a while i was using regular passive headset. I didnt see the necessity for a ANR headset, until i tried the bose x. Unbelievable difference! It is so light and comfortable without the gigantic foam around the ears. They are also excellent on battery life, and the noise cancellation is just amazing.
cool.gif

I got the conversion for Christmas for my DC 13.4s and love it. Had one of the instructors install it. Cost me a bottle of gin.

Just wondering how compatable the system is with original headsets microphone? Are they fully compatable? Ive heard of feedback and other problems.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering how compatable the system is with original headsets microphone? Are they fully compatable? Ive heard of feedback and other problems.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No prblem. you get new speakers for the earphones. that is where the pick up mic is for the reverse phasing. works great.

Back