AQP?

There are a lot of assumptions here, as there usually are with all of us in almost everything.

1. What is trivia? To you it may be one thing. To me it may be something different. To @Boris Badenov, it would almost certainly be a third thing.

2. Who cares about trivia, really? Trivia be damned! Right now we have a crisis of fundamentals. We have many "pilots" who literally don't know aerodynamics, and many more who know a little bit about aerodynamics, but only by rote for a test.

3. Sadly, the profound -which is almost always a simple statement or formula that explains the complex- comes from measuring and integrating and understanding the vastness of details. It is all too often that those details are viewed by the unengaged and uniformed as, yup... trivial.
Words

To the surprise of exactly nobody here, I’m myself somewhat irritated at the superficiality of knowledge about the airplanes themselves nowadays, because situations beyond the scope of non-normal checklists do arise and it’s nice to know a little more than the fault light means there’s a fault or that a VALVE light means the valve disagrees with the commanded position when they do.

Note that I’m not necessarily talking about grading on that stuff, however. Merely having access to or the ability to discuss a little more information would be nice.

To the surprise of exactly nobody here, I’m myself somewhat irritated at the superficiality of knowledge about the airplanes themselves nowadays, because situations beyond the scope of non-normal checklists do arise and it’s nice to know a little more than the fault light means there’s a fault or that a VALVE light means the valve disagrees with the commanded position when they do.

Note that I’m not necessarily talking about grading on that stuff, however. Merely having access to or the ability to discuss a little more information would be nice.

Um, Sir, this is a Wendy’s…

Back to 1965 with you, and draw me the fuel system as a drop of fuel traveling from the truck to the exhaust pipe.

I think you're confusing system knowledge with complete engineer genesis.

Knowledge of Fault Lights is a good thing...knowing the shade of gray scale on the glare shield...not good.

Knowledge of Autobrake deployment speed is a good thing...not the Lume of the 3rd Aft Lav Overhead smoking light...not good.

Knowledge of how to use the Sat Com system for Stat MD is a good thing....not the torque setting on the forward galley door hinge....not good.

It's been at least a decade (probably 2) of this zeitgeist change...so finally were are at if it isn't in the cockpit or I can't manipulate it...than I don't care.

I think you're confusing system knowledge with complete engineer genesis.

Knowledge of Fault Lights is a good thing...knowing the shade of gray scale on the glare shield...not good.

Knowledge of Autobrake deployment speed is a good thing...not the Lume of the 3rd Aft Lav Overhead smoking light...not good.

Knowledge of how to use the Sat Com system for Stat MD is a good thing....not the torque setting on the forward galley door hinge....not good.

It's been at least a decade (probably 2) of this zeitgeist change...so finally were are at if it isn't in the cockpit or I can't manipulate it...than I don't care.
Fair. I’ve got an engineering “bend” so…

I resemble that remark. I (partially) blame CBTs. Obviously the onus of education is on the student, but I’ve always found great value in a lecture/class room setting where questions can be asked and answered.

for what constitutes "importance" or "value" - you could, actually, you know, use math to figure out what was "important" to know, because knowing it (and not being able to look it up) was important enough that failure to do so would kill the average dude or dudette flying... which, to circle back, is what AQP is supposed to be doing.

Trivia would be like knowing the pressure of the oxygen bottle even though you have no gauge that displays it, you're not responsible for filling it, and you cannot change it.
Seems a very weird item to use as an example of trivia given that you must know that you have at least 10 minutes of O2 for each Pax each flight.
Or maybe you 121 boys just get a random piece of paper and believe it... IDK?

Maybe I'm being, er, trivial by pointing this out, but... Math only works as an analytic tool when you've got data to analyze and have already used other intelligences to ask the correct questions to answer in the first place.

Seems a very weird item to use as an example of trivia given that you must know that you have at least 10 minutes of O2 for each Pax each flight.

Maybe I'm being, er, trivial by pointing this out, but... Math only works as an analytic tool when you've got data to analyze and have already used other intelligences to ask the correct questions to answer in the first place.
Is @ppragman a “121 boy?”

I wonder if there’s an analytic tool one could use to find that out? Or maybe there are other “intelligences” one could use to ask that question in the first place?

Is @ppragman a “121 boy?”

I wonder if there’s an analytic tool one could use to find that out? Or maybe there are other “intelligences” one could use to ask that question in the first place?
Could be, but why chase trivia? 🤣

If he's not 121, that makes it an even weirder example to use, eh?

I resemble that remark. I (partially) blame CBTs. Obviously the onus of education is on the student, but I’ve always found great value in a lecture/class room setting where questions can be asked and answered.
It helps when the instructors have experience on the platform as well, but alas, if we keep pulling a B a quarter in profit I’ll accept the choices management has made.

I literally never flew 121.

I finished my career flying when I got sick in 2020, but my last job was operating billy-badass corporate dehaviland product in the arctic. I was literally a bush-rat for the majority of my career, and learned math when I went back to school in my 20s (my second degree after my BS in aviation I earned while flying full time in AK and then medevac) because I found that I needed more math to answer certain aviation technical problems I had.

If we want to dong measure we can, but I don't know that you'll be able to paint me in quite the way you think you will be able to.

I literally never flew 121.

I finished my career flying when I got sick in 2020, but my last job was operating billy-badass corporate dehaviland product in the arctic. I was literally a bush-rat for the majority of my career, and learned math when I went back to school in my 20s (my second degree after my BS in aviation I earned while flying full time in AK and then medevac) because I found that I needed more math to answer certain aviation technical problems I had.

If we want to dong measure we can, but I don't know that you'll be able to paint me in quite the way you think you will be able to.
I'm not here to paint anyone or anything. I usually detest paint or pretty cover glosses of any type.

If I insinuated by any statement something that is not so, please know I meant no personal affront or derision.

I'm mostly here just to try to get people to see the actual paint that covers most of the real corrosive and corroding world that lies beneath... it should be pretty obvious - even for the color blind.

It's almost always the not scratching the patina and continuing to color by the numbers that gets us.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction. What about the 74, then? I see guys talking about 6 month sim rides on the forum. Must be the 74 that doesn't have AQP. Or does that not have anything to do with it? I don't remember having to do an oral on the 75/76. F/O in 03 and Capt in 06. Maybe my memory has faded. The 72 F/E program back in the day was no joke. Remember Bob T? We had guys in my class that just enjoyed getting him spooled up by asking a dumb question and his face would turn beet red. That was the hardest oral I remember. Shouldn't be like that and glad things changed over the years in the training dept and with the feds.
I average maybe 1 landing a month on the 74. So having CQ 6 really helps with me maintain landing currency. Especially when it comes to OCV or training conflicts.

Back