Aptitude, Training, Experience

Math is the language of physics

Yes, however, there is a certain subset of math that is used in physics.... it is mostly algebra. Not until you get into some high level physics stuff do you start potentially seeing differential equations and the like. That would be calculus.

The pilots need to be evaluated for aptitude and experience level.
They do this is Europe even before the ab initio/integrated pilot training shools take your money. They furthermore actually have a sembalance of professional training requirements. Not too sure their system is any better.

The airlines do evaluate aptitude and experience level in the interview selection process. The whole thing is designed to winnow out the weak candidates to offer a fair chance of success in training.

They get the best that can get for the crappy wages a conditions they pay. That means most likely either, a person with little to no Turbine/121 exp. OR a person that left the seniority list of another airline (maybe fired??).

As long as the airlines can get away with it, they will still use the regionals as a journeyman program.

Going back to what I said.

No I don't think one needs a math degree to be a pilot. But a general aptitude towards math, physics, with good spacial orientation is something desirable (IMO). Some of the dimmer bulbs I fly with couldn't tell you the most basic things about the plane that you acquire just by flying it over time. Why? I'd argue that they have no aptitude toward math/science, they don't notice any trends, the performance of the plane and corresponding fuel calculations. They can look at a snapshot of what's going on and correspond it to some rote figure.

If you don't agree fine. But I know when European/Asian airlines are selecting their wonder-pilots who will make it though training and to mainline aircraft quickly, they go through a number of exams. Among them are tests related to math, and spacial orientation. Those who perform better on those tests are better suited (see aptitude) to make it through training and be successful on the line.

Yes, however, there is a certain subset of math that is used in physics.... it is mostly algebra. Not until you get into some high level physics stuff do you start potentially seeing differential equations and the like. That would be calculus.

Of course...I wasn't implying that diff. eq and calc were needed for a basic understanding of physics. But basic algebra is needed for solving most any physics problem, and should be anyone's "thing" if they are into physics. Also, even basic physics is rooted in calculus, although you don't necessarily need to have a calculus background to do it.

I hate to break into the lovely arguem...I mean, discussion on here, but I'd like to note something from the article linked to in the first post.

The Regional Airline Association, which represents the bulk of the nation's commuter carriers, is expected to tell a House panel Thursday that it is ready to develop new ways to study and combat pilot fatigue, including possible random tests of cockpit crews.

In addition, the group for the first time is advocating a joint industry-government plan to create a comprehensive data base of pilot records that can be checked for new hires. It is also expected to suggest random downloads of cockpit voice recorders to see if pilots are breaking safety rules by engaging in extraneous conversations. Some of the proposals would require legislation.

Did anybody else notice that there are absolutely no plans in the works to actually fix the problems? From what this says, the only thing that anybody is suggesting to do is to find new ways to punish pilots. I wonder how a random "fatigue" test would work, what the punishment would be, and how that would interact with a normal regional pilot's company imposed schedule.

I hate to break into the lovely arguem...I mean, discussion on here, but I'd like to note something from the article linked to in the first post.

Did anybody else notice that there are absolutely no plans in the works to actually fix the problems? From what this says, the only thing that anybody is suggesting to do is to find new ways to punish pilots. I wonder how a random "fatigue" test would work, what the punishment would be, and how that would interact with a normal regional pilot's company imposed schedule.

This is interesting. I think if these ideas are put forth by legislation, it will make the regional pilot position even more unattractive. Also, the random fatigue test is just about the silliest thing I have ever heard of. It will prove nothing more than the fact that they are human and become tired when lacking adequate sleep. I can't imagine they would expect them to perform beyond what the human body is capable of facilitating. Did Cohen come up with this scheise?

Back